Ethics in Graphic Designer 1b

When building new designs, designers tend to conduct extensive research and draw inspiration from various sources they have learned in the past. I have never using other people’s work and claim as my own, with the only exception of using free stock images But I always quote them. I also make sure that they have the appropriate copyrights to contain these photos into my designs. According to Aiga’s “Design Business + Ethics” chapter, using photography in design work carries a sense of responsibility and choice.

The Shepard Fairey Hope poster case is a compelling example of what not to do when making art. This poster became an emblem of President Obama’s 2008 at his campaign, but Fairey’s use of a photograph taken by an Associated Press photographer without consent led to a legal argument. The state became even more severe, and Fairey was fined $25,000 and placed on trial for two years by officials. He was also forced to work 300 hours of community service and produce new artwork for the press, which he was previously charged for. But then, Shepard Fairey was wrong in this situation. This was a great example for the public to see and hear about because it happens every day. After all, these circumstances harmed Shepard Fairey’s status as a designer, and people see him another way in the design industry.

References:

AIGA Design and Business Ethics Handbook, “Guide to Copyright”

Shepard Fairey Is Fined and Sentenced to Probation in ‘Hope’ Poster Case, by Randy Kennedy, NYT

Scroll to Top