Color: Also referred to as hue, color is the appearance of an object created by the quality of light it reflects. The term color also can refer to a paint, dye, pigment, or other substance that conveys color.

Warm: Related colors that range from red through orange and yellow. Warm colors remind people of warm objects, places, and feelings.

Cool: Related colors that range from green through blue and violet. Cool colors bring to mind cool objects, places, and feelings.

Monochrome: A painting, drawing, or photograph using tints and shades of the same hue.

color mixing

For this part of the assignment I created a 12×12 grid of squares. I used only 4 colored Prismacolor pencils Process Red, True Blue, Canary Yellow, and Black. I tried to fill all 144 boxes without repeating any colors once. The outer ring of boxes has all the base colors with different amounts of black. The second outer-most ring of boxes has all three base color pencils used to create different shades of brown and other dull low chroma colors. The rest of the inner boxes are just mixtures of two colors at a time for the most part.

Color palettes

This was a fun painting exercise to help understand chroma and color mixing. The top half shows 6 versions of 6 different colors. Theres a warm, cool, low chroma, high chroma, complimentary, and base. The bottom half of this assignment is a Monochrome color palette of violet. The outer ring of boxes shows dark values of violet and the inside shows light values.