Shape: A two dimensional figure created by connecting actual or implied lines that enclose an area of space. A shape can be geometric (such as a circle or square) or organic (having an irregular outline).

Symmetry: The quality of being made up exactly for similar parts facing each other or around an axis.

For this assignment I had to choose an organic shape and break it down from an image to an illustration, an image related graphic, a concept related graphic, and finally an arbitrary graphic. I chose a giraffe simply because I like the animal and I broke down the shape of it more and more. The hardest part of this assignment was coming up with a decent shape that linked the arbitrary graphic and the image related graphic.

Shape

Taking the shapes from the beginning of the assignment I copied them and cut them out. Then I rearranged them in a pattern that would be symmetrical. This was a fun and creative part of the assignment that helped me understand the balance of negative space, white and black, and organic and simple shapes on a two dimensional plane.

symetry design