The prompt for this assignment was to choose any quote of our choice and design two posters illustrating the quote in two different ways. One poster was to be illustrated mainly using text and the other can be accompanied by imagery or photographs. The quote I chose was “50,000 people used to live here, now its a ghost town.” by Cpt. John Price from the video game series Call of Duty. The reason I chose this quote was because for most people who enjoyed this game franchise this quote stands out and brings back a wave of nostalgia from that era of games. The quote is referring to the City of Pryp’yat’ in Ukraine. There was a nuclear meltdown accident that prompted the entire city of 50,000 people to evacuate. 

Here we can see the Impact font stylized to mimic the text that appears in game under a green night-vision and digital compression effect. Behind the text lurks an orange radiation symbol because the game is based around a fictional nuclear conflict and nuclear incident.

For this postcard I used the same stylized text but in the background is an illustration of the silhouette of the empty city of Pryp’yat’ against a bleak grey-blue sky. The Ferris wheel illustrated is an iconic and recognizable landmark that has since been abandoned. I added a noise filter to the sky to give the idea that the area is radiated, since most times the sky is a smooth gradient.

Sketches