Law and Culture Review

For the Law and Culture review, I chose “On the Basis of Sex,” a drama about the early life of Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. The film focuses on the discrimination that she faced as a young lawyer at Harvard Law School, and as one of the few women. “On the Basis of Sex” also goes on to depict several of Ginsberg’s early cases. The film explores how her own experiences in law school shape her future cases, such as the Moritz vs. Commissioner, which held that discrimination on the basis of sex is a violation of the Equal Protection Clause. I have always admired Justice Ginsburg, and wanted to know more about her life. I chose this film for the project because it depicts the personal story of one of the most iconic figures in legal history, while also detailing Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s early legal cases and why they were meaningful to her.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moritz_v._Commissioner

1 thought on “Law and Culture Review

1. Thanks Kitty, I’ve heard that movie was great! I saw RBG, the documentary about her that came out around the same time and I highly recommend it, in case you’re looking for an alternative. Enjoy!
    Prof. C.