FYLC #3

1.In Stedmans essay I learned how to not use certain quotes and that readers will get annoyed with the way you utilize your sources. He compared it to a slow driver and made an overall analogy to road rage. Also that readers will judge you and consider your writing sloppy based on how you use your quotes and sources. We also learn that readers do not like it when they read a quote and don’t know what they’re suppose to think about ahead of time. As a solution to this issue Stedman tells us “in the majority of situations, readers appreci- ate being guided to and led away from a quotation by the writer doing the quoting. Readers get a sense of pleasure from the safe flow of hear- ing how to read an upcoming quotation, reading it, and then being told one way to interpret it. Prepare, quote, analyze.” Helping me to understand a new format for utilizing my sources which is to prepare for your quote, utilize it, and explain how it is relevant to your overall writing.

2.One of the quotables in my legal source entry is one that says “The feelings of frustration and marginalization among longtime residents who are displaced by gentrification are magnified as landlords often turn to aggressive and abusive tactics”. When using this quote in my text I utilized his Prepare, quote, analyze format. As in the text I was speaking on how landlords will go to excessive extremes to ensure residents move out of one of their buildings. I then input the quote and finally I discussed said quote and what it meant and what it’s importance was to the text. With it being an example of how gentrification has negatively effected hundreds of people in NYC alone. I believe that in utilizing this format my inclusion of the quote made more sense to the reader, thus satisfying their needs.