Ethics Assignment – Entry 1a

Soft Skills  Work, ethics, teamwork, accountability, problem-solving, communication, creativity, time management, leadership & Icons

As designers, we have a set of moral principles to uphold. In our design work, we play a crucial role in locating images and managing a company’s trademarks and logos. Understanding the project specifications and the intended use of the images comes first. We try to avoid copywriting issues by using specific keywords and filters to find relevant visuals that match the project’s requirements. Designers look into websites that provide images with public domain or Creative Commons licenses. It guarantees adherence to the specific usage restrictions and correctly credits the images to prevent legal action. It is possible for us to buy or license images without any copyright restrictions by using stock photo libraries or websites that provide licensed images. Companies frequently offer templates that standardize how their trademarks and logos are incorporated in order to maintain consistency. It’s important to keep in mind that different businesses may have different specific procedures and methods in place, and some businesses may have more complex systems in place to handle image sourcing and trademark/logo usage. 

At the nonprofit company I have to promote various social media ads for the company’s ongoing contest as part of my creative work there. The commercials will air in June and July during the public holidays. For these designs and advertisements, I’ll almost certainly get photos. While doing so, I’ll be looking for free stock photos and royalty-free images. Searching for these kinds of images gets around the designer’s rules. I won’t be making any modifications to the company’s logo. My goal is to follow the company’s provided style guide in order to respect and stay within the branding. As a designer, I maintain open lines of communication with important departments at all times to make sure that the right images are sourced and that trademarks and logos are used correctly in design work.

Works Cited

Cousins, Carrie. “Why Every Designer Needs a Code of Ethics.” Design Shack, 5 August 2014, https://designshack.net/articles/business-articles/why-every-designer-needs-a-code-of-ethics/. Accessed 14 July 2023.

Joanne Stone and Lana Rigsby, editor. “AIGA GUIDE TO COPYRIGHT.” AIGA DESIGN BUSINESS AND ETHICS, Richard Grefé, AIGA, 2009.

Image Credit

shutterstock.com