Mary Brown | COMD 1162 - E058 | Fall 2023

Discussion: Introductions

Add a comment to this post introducing yourself to the class. You could include your academic interests, why you chose your major, what you enjoy reading, listening to, watching, and doing in your spare time, or anything else you want to share (include your pronouns, if you wish).

Please take a few minutes and add your introduction by the end today’s class . It should be between 250 -300 words.

Before the next class, read the comments and get to know your classmates! 

For extra credit, reply to one of your classmates’ comments. Do you have something in common? Did you learn something? Be kind.

1. MICHELLE MARTINEZ

Hello everyone, my name is Michelle and I was born and raised in the Boogie Down Bronx, New York. I come from a Dominican and Colombian background which makes me a foodie by default. I am currently a communications design major here at City Tech. With my degree I plan to go into UX/UI design whether that be product design or web design. Currently, I have more background with social media marketing, digital marketing, and advertising. But my end goal is to go into UX. In my spare time I like doing photography of social events, architecture, or candids. In addition, I love to go thrifting and just stay up to date with cool clothing designers that catch my eye. Because I go thrifting and like exploring the city I have pretty much familiarized myself with all the boroughs. I think my favorite borough currently  to find good restaurants or small shops is Brooklyn. My favorite coffee shop is also located in Brooklyn, so I definitely commute a lot throughout the boroughs for fun things to do.

I hope for this class I will be able to rasterize an image to fit any size and just get a better understanding of raster and vector in general. Especially if being knowledgeable on the subject aligns with  the line of work I would like to go into. Also I want this class to give me an added skill set that could be used in multiple areas of work. Lastly, and most importantly, I would like to have fun in this class.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Welcome to the class Michelle. I definitely hope this class is fun and that by the end of the semester you will be quite comfortable with Illustrator and Photoshop. Do you have any favorite sections of Brooklyn?

2. Jeremybitterhoff

Hi I’m Jeremy. Also known as Nathanael Blue. I enjoy creating things. I think that’s why I’m interested in this major. I make music as my primary form of expression. I also act, model, direct. I kinda enjoy just being free to express through several mediums. It’s what makes me the most happy. I make primarily make mostly like indie, alternative rap / R&B. If you wanna check it out Nathanael Blue on Spotify, Apple Music and every other thing that exists. Catch me playing at the nearest stadium by you. Im happy Im surround by so many talented artist and I was born a raised in the hub for art and creation that is New York City. I love how art just lets you escape your body for a minute. Be transported to another universe for a few minutes. I could go on and on about music. Some of my favorites artist are Frank Ocean, Claudio Monet, Steve Lacy, Kevin Abstract , Dominic Fike. Just to list a few. If your are a videographer or photographer and you wanna work with me just pull up on me or hit me @nathanaelblue_ on ig. That is the epicenter of where my music and creative world lives. I’m struggling to write 250 words. I’ll make it easy to reply to this, what’s your favorite album? What’s your favorite Artist? What’s your favorite film? Do you have any passions outside of design? Im at 238 right now. I’ll tell y’all I’m picking up guitar right now. It’s always been something I wanted to do. My next few musical drops will be very guitar driven. Okay I’m at 270. Have a great day.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Thanks Jeremy for that introduction. It’s not unusual for artists to have multiple areas of interest. Is your art influenced by your music or vise versa?

3. Jada Bellille

Hi peers and future graduates,

My names Jada Bellille and like most of you i’m a communication Design major. When I first started my college journey I started at a small private University as a communication major. While pursuing my degree I realised that I wanted to further explore and expand on my creativity and gain profit from it. I’m a self taught artist that makes underground music and short films.My creative direction is heavily inspired by amazing designers and creatives such as Tim Burton, Rick Owens and other various talented creators. Im excited to learn and grown with all my peers, i hope to push not only myself but all of you as well.

Cheers to a great semester, Jada Bellille

• Prof. Mary Brown

Hi Jada, welcome to the class. Nowadays communications is becoming such a broad area of study. I hope this class fulfills your desires to explore your creativity.

• Alyse B

I like Rick Owens too. Their Doc Marten collab was fire fr. I like that we share that in common <3

4. maria fernanda montes

My name is Maria Fernanda Montes, I’m from Venezuela and I’m 20 years old. I remember all my childhood being creative and making new things out of anything. Communication design is a fascinating field that encompasses the art of conveying messages, ideas and emotions through visual and interactive mediums. It involves a harmonious blend of creativity, technology, and psychology to create powerful visual and interactive experiences. Visual communication is a fundamental aspect of our daily lives,  by studying communication design, Im to harness the power of visuals to make information more accessible, engaging, and memorable.One of the primary reasons I am drawn to communication design is the opportunity it provides for creative expression. Designers are like visual storytellers, using color, typography, imagery, and layout to convey messages and evoke emotions. This creative aspect of the field allows individuals to leave their unique mark on the world, fostering innovation and personal growth. I believe that studying communication design will enable me to explore my creative potential and express myself in new and exciting ways. Communication design is not just about creating visually appealing content; it is also about solving communication challenges. Designers are tasked with understanding the needs of their target audience and finding creative solutions to convey messages effectively. This requires critical thinking, research, and the ability to adapt to different contexts. I am eager to develop these problem solving skills through my studies in communication design, as they are highly transferable to various professions. Studying communication design opens the door to a wide range of career opportunities. Whether in advertising, branding, user experience design, or multimedia production, the skills acquired in this field are highly transferable and in demand across various industries. This versatility offers the prospect of a fulfilling and dynamic career path. My decision to study communication design is driven by a deep appreciation for the power of visual communication, a desire for creative expression, and a recognition of the field’s relevance in our digital age. I am excited to embark on this educational journey to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to make a meaningful impact on the way we communicate and connect with one another. Through communication design, I hope to contribute to a visually enriched, better informed and more connected world.

5. Karen Alarcon

Hi, My name is Karen. I came to City Tech as a Hospitality Management major a few years ago. After graduating and working for the industry after a few years, I decided to go back to school as a communication design major. I am an introverted individual that enjoys reading genres such as fiction, thriller, and nonfiction.For music I listen to a variety of songs from different artists such as Linkin Park, Krewella, BTS, Simple Plan, etc. I also do photography and video editing on my spare time for social media. I believe is never too late to start anew in a new field, and wanted to improve and gather experience in this field to start a new journey.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Hi Karen, welcome to the class. Do you prefer traditional reading or audio books? Because I’m so busy I enjoy audio books, especially when I’m driving. 🙂

6. Alyse B

Hi there! My name is Alyse & I’m a communications design transfer student. I’m a creative at heart and take great pride in my fashion sense and music taste. Some of my favorite musicians are MF Doom, Grimes, FKA Twigs, Bjork, Blood Orange, and Your Old Droog. I strongly believe that every single endeavor you pursue in life is strongly motivated by your artistic pursuits. In my free time, I enjoy modeling, and my dream is to be signed by an agency. Years ago, a HS art teacher said that art is supposed to make you feel something. These words inspired me, because it forced me to analyze every single piece of art in my life and identify what emotions it evoked. Any painting, photo, sculpture, or garment is capable of inducing intense emotional responses. Modeling is no different. You’re supposed to ensnare the audience with your walk, charisma and personality so that they’re dying to get their hands on the pieces of the designers you walk for. I was deeply inspired to pursue graphic design, because I wanted to utilize it in my modeling so I could bring my visions to life without an editor/photographer’s assistance like how I’d have to with photoshoots. My long term goal is to have a senior/vice creative position in a corporate office’s creative division for a fashion/arts brand such as ASOS, Paper or Glossier. I love Japanese food, thrifting, cooking, fashion and skin care. I am passionate about this class, because I have no knowledge of any editing software. I’m so excited to have access to this valuable knowledge. I look forward to going outside of my comfort zone and challenging myself to bring my ideas to life at my own execution, rather than having to rely on someone else.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Hi Alyse, a lot of times music, art and fashion go hand in hand. Welcome to the class.

7. matt14

Hello, my name is Matthew but I prefer to go by Matt (He/Him) instead for short. My birthday is August 10th and my zodiac sign is a leo. My major is communication design, probably like some of you as well. My interests mostly consist of watching sports like the NBA, drawing, playing basketball, videogames or just going out late at night. In my spare time normally I would go out to play basketball or go shopping. I am a huge sneakerhead. My academic interests are very low since I only find science and art subjects as fun but it’s been that way since I was younger. Normally when I am playing sports alone, isolating myself feels best especially when I have music playing. One of my favorite artists right now is Drake and Gunna. I was born and raised in the Bronx for half of my life and grew up in Brooklyn from around age 10-11 till now. My ethnicity is Puerto Rican and Caribbean. I consider myself to be a very outgoing, disciplined person who likes to have fun and just explore and try new things the world has to offer. Being grateful for everything I have accomplished, where I have come from and where I want to go always keeps me motivated considering there are people who live day to day with nothing but a smile on their face. I’m trying to go far in life and I just want to be able to have fun along that journey by surrounding myself with people that have the same interest and ambition as me. This school seems to give off an antisocial setting when it comes to students networking with one another or just connecting and making new friends in general, nobody really reaches out. I hope that this semester goes by smoothly and easily without any headaches or sleepless nights because it’s harsh being in college and working. 

• Prof. Mary Brown

Hi Matt, hopefully you’ll make friends along the way. I’m sure you’ll find yourself in other Communication Design classes with familiar faces. Sometimes you may have to make the first move when it comes to making friends. Good luck this semester.

8. Carlmekhi

Hi how yall doing, my name is CarlMekhi Vincent but Ill rather to be called Mekhi for short. I will be turning 19 on the date November 30 which is coming up very soon. I was born and raised in Manhattan NYC and lastly, I am Hattian. This is my second year here at city tech and My major is communication design. my major was electrical engineering, but I’ve switched it because I thought communication design fits me more. I have many interests such as playing basketball, watching scary movies, drawing, shopping for sneakers, fashion and hanging out with my friends. I like listening to all type of music and my favorite artist right now is rod wave, but I have other favorites such as lil baby, polo g and lil Durk. I love hanging out with my friends and usually we go out to the gym and play basketball, or we would chill and play videogames. I love to travel also; I’ve been to amazing places such as Puerto Rico and Las Vegas. I am a very quiet and introvert person, but I do not have problems with making friends or holding a conversation. I am very disciplined person who takes what he does very seriously and i have a very strong determination to be successful at what I do. I own my own registered LLC business where I sell clothing and fashion items to many people around the world and my business is called Nonchalant clothing. I came up with the name “nonchalant” clothing because nonchalant is how I am, and I understand there are many people around the world who are also nonchalant. the brand also has another meaning for those who are not nonchalant, and it is to chase your dreams and your goals and anything outside of that realm should mean nothing nor it should be something you care about so always stay in that nonchalant mode. lastly, I’m very excited to see what this semester has in stored and I look forward to enjoying this class with you all. thank you

• Prof. Mary Brown

Hi Mekhi, welcome to the class. Do you make your own designs for the clothes?

9. KingxCalico

Hello, my name is King! My pronouns are They/He, I’m 19 years old, my birthday is November 23rd, and I’m in this class for Communications design. I chose this major because I want to build my skills to become a freelance artist, and maybe one day start my own independent art project. Like a webcomic or illustrator for one. As for what I enjoy reading, I’d have to say really mostly manga or light novels. I don’t really have a favorite book, mainly because I don’t read too much anymore, but I do read and write fanfics, both original and based on other sources. As for what I like to watch, mostly youtube and some streaming services. I don’t know when the last time I watched cable was, times have been changing frequently for cable tv. My favorite music tends to be my favorite video game OSTt’s, Vocaloid, Dubstep, Hyperpop, and whatever’s trending mainstream if it’s a good earworm. In my freetime, I usually spend it playing video games. A lot of the games I play are grind heavy, meaning they consist of doing tasks to gain levels and stronger abilities. Some of these games include; PokĂ©mon, Genshin Impact, Honkai Star Rail, Persona 5, and Stardew Valley to name a few. I play a bunch more, so ask if you’re interested! My favorite consoles/devices to game on are my switch, Tablet, and Laptop. That’s about all I can account about myself for now, but I’m sure if you guys ask the right questions (if interested), I can think up a bunch more to say.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Hello King, welcome to the class. I have to ask, for those of us who don’t know, what are mangas and OSTts?

10. Fahima

Hello, everyone, my name is Fahima Sikdar, however most people call me Fifi or Fi. I transfer from LaGuardia Community College; this is my second semester. I have changed my major few times in the past, from nursing to criminal justice to undecided. I transfer to City Tech because of their Dental Hygienist program. I’m finally dedicated to Communication Design since I appreciate and am interested in creative thinking. I’m full time student and also work full time. UX, UI, and web design are my professional interests, but I’ll see where it leads. But if I had to go back in time I would probably Iook into dentistry. Other than work and school I like to paint, planting, and go to different coffee shops; although all coffee tastes similar I enjoy the atmosphere. I love to travel and collect passport stamps the most; so far, I’ve been fortunate enough to visit 17 different countries. I’m hoping the classes I’m taking will inspire me and help me choose a better career. 

• Prof. Mary Brown

Welcome to the class Fahima. That’s amazing that you’ve been able to visit so many different countries.

11. Maximo Cardenas

Hi guys, I’m Max (he/him), 20 years old. I was born in Queens, lived on Long Island for a few years, Queens again, and now I live in Manhattan. I’m in my first year at City Tech. I applied initially for data science and got in but when I read more about other majors here, I quickly realized that communication design would make me happier in the long run. I like drawing and graphics but always thought of it as a hobby. I never really thought I could make a career out of it with my skillset. But after reading about the comd major and hearing from professors who have worked in this field that used to seem so lucrative made me hopeful and excited to pursue a career in the creative field. It seems this major will allow me to explore my two passions, creativity and technology. I’m still learning about all the different paths I could specialize in but UI/UX design seem the most interesting to me.

Outside of school, I work at IKEA as a cashier. Not the job I want to be in but I get meatballs for $3 so it’s worth it as a broke college student. I enjoy hanging out with friends, usually trying out a new restaurant here and there to indulge in NYC’s amazing food culture. I like playing on the Nintendo Switch, games like animal crossing, Legend of Zelda, pretty much anything in the Nintendo franchise. I’m not a big music person, I have my comfort playlist of mostly emo songs and some Kpop.

• Prof. Mary Brown

Welcome to the class Max. A career in communication/graphic design has been a very interesting one for me. I’ve worked on fun projects and met some great people.

12. Zion C

Hello everyone, My name is Zion Coleman. My pronouns are (he/him). I’m 18 years of age and I was born in The Bronx of New York for all of my life. This is my first year of city tech and I’m actually really excited and nervous for this year because this will be a completely different experience than when I was in high school. I initially chose Liberal Arts as my major because I didn’t know what I wanted to learn. But quickly I found out that I was interested in Art and Graphic’s Design so I decided to choose Communication Designs. I don’t regret my choice at all because so far all of my classes have been interesting and fun to learn in. As a kid, I’ve always had an interest and somewhat of a hobby to draw. Besides playing video games, Drawing always allowed me to learn how to be creative and learn how to have an open mind for imagination. But I love games and anime, so being on the computer is what I do pretty much everyday and I like graphics so I thought that COMD would have that all in one and I wasn’t wrong at all.

I’m still trying to figure out my purpose but I believe that I can go down a path of becoming a really good artist/illustrator or a graphics designer. I never know what else can come my way because my interests always changes over time. But once I feel I find this purpose then there will be no going back and I can work towards something and become as big as I want. I forgot to mention that I enjoy all types of music as long as it sounds good to my ear.

13. Keshawn

Hey everyone, my name is Keshawn Howe and I was born and raised in Kingston, Jamaica. You won’t really hear my accent because I can code switch with ease. I enjoy anything that has to do with soccer (I coach toddlers and kids how to play as a job), working out and just exploring new places. I listen to almost everything Dembow, Dancehall, Rap, Uk rap etc. Not a reader but if I need to I will. I previously majored in Civil Engineering here at City tech but decided to switch to Communication Design because I like how expressive you can be with your thoughts and your almost never wrong. Math isn’t my strong point either so it was the best thing to do. I aspire to primarily work in the automotive industry (interior/exterior chassis designer) so Communication Design was a perfect fit for me since it covers such a vast variety of disciplines like UX/UI Design, Graphic Design, Web Design, Imaging and Animation just to name a few. Hope to work with ya’ll this semester. Later