United Federation of Teachers, Print Facility

Last week our class took a trip over to the United Federation of Teachers, Print Facility. We met up in the printing room where we had the owner (who’s name I can’t remember) give us a tour of the place. He discussed each machine and what they did which was interesting to learn. We got to see how envelopes are made, how pamphlets are folded, etc. When he showed us how big the rolls of paper that were used to print papers, it was quite shocking because those rolls where huge. One machine in particular that was neat to learn about was the envelope making machine. 

The scariest machine that he showed us was the cutter. I think it’s safe to say that this was everyone’s favorite machine as well due to how terrifying it was! The blade was able to cut through 500 pieces of paper and did it in such a second that was shocking. He explained that in order for it to work you need to hold down two buttons with your hands which acted as the safety. It was a very quick tour that only lasted about an hour, but it was nice to see how all the printing is done and where it is generated. It as an interesting experience and I’m glad to got to see some of those machines in action!