Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | Spring 2023

3/21/23 Writing Activity: Course Goals

Now that we’re about halfway through the semester, let’s reflect on this class and think about the learning outcomes we’re aiming for, and give this writing course a review. First, let’s look at the learning outcomes of the ENG 1101:

English 1101 Learning Outcomes:

Read and listen critically and analytically in a variety of genres and rhetorical situations: Identify and evaluate exigencies, purposes, claims, supporting evidence, and underlying assumptions in a variety of texts, genres, and media.

Adapt to and compose in a variety of genres: Adapt writing conventions in ways that are suitable to different exigencies and purposes in a variety of contexts, including academic, workplace, and civic audiences. When appropriate, repurpose prior work to new genres, audiences, and media by adjusting delivery, design, tone, organization, and language.

Use research as a process of inquiry and engagement with multiple perspectives: Learn to focus on a topic and develop research questions that lead to propositions and claims that can be supported with well-reasoned arguments. Persuasively communicate and repurpose research projects across a variety of contexts, purposes, audiences, and media. Demonstrate research skills through attribution and citation gathering, evaluating, and synthesizing both primary and secondary sources. Learn how to use appropriate citation styles depending on disciplinary and situational requirements (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.).

Use reflection and other metacognitive processes to revise prior assumptions about reading and writing and transfer acquired knowledge into new writing situations. Students write reflections of their own reading and writing process from the beginning and throughout the semester with the intention to transfer their acquired knowledge about genre and composing practices into new writing situations.

Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing: Recognize that first-year writing includes academic, workplace, and civic contexts, all of which require careful deliberation concerning the ethical and social ramifications concerning fairness, inclusivity, and respect for diversity. Write and revise for academic and broader, public audiences accordingly.

Compose in 21st– Century Environments: Learn to choose among the most current and effective delivery methods for different composing situations. Students learn to compose in new media environments, including alphabetic texts, still and moving images, sonic, and mixed media compositions. Use digital media platforms appropriate to audience and purpose.

These learning outcomes are listed on our syllabus. Write about how much progress you think you are making (and also how much we as a class are making) working toward these learning outcomes. What do we need to work on from the above outcomes? What questions do you have about these goals? Choose each goal above and write 1-2 sentences (or more) addressing how you understand the goal, the questions or clarification you/we still need related to the goal, which goals we should focus on for the rest of the semester (as opposed to other goals), and any other concerns or confusion you might have about the goal/outcome and its meaning. Don’t be afraid to admit you’re not sure or are confused about a particular outcome/goal. Also, don’t be afraid to be critical; if there is something you’d like to focus on more that you feel we haven’t been, let me know how you think we can improve this class. We should discuss and make a plan together as a class!

Post by replying here in the comment section below.

1. Denisa

I think this class helped me develop the knowledge of the literary terms, key concepts, and craft elements of one or more genres of writing. Also the ability to read literature as a writer, using texts as models for writing.

The benefit of learning through this is evident due to the possibility of pacing the internet based learning process.

2. Sandra

I feel like i’m in the middle because i’m doing my work but i feel like i need to improve better for myself and for my professor so he/she can see where i’m at.Us as a class i think we’re all doing good because we all listen and help each other.I feel like we do all good in the class ,we all participate and always have no problem to work with different people.Aldo the professor himself he helps us a lot with the work and the work in class.

3. Sandra

4. Carla Garcia

1. Read and listen critically and analytically in a variety of genres and rhetorical situations: This goal requires students to analyze and understand the different types of texts and their purposes.
    2. Adapt to and compose in a variety of genres: This outcome aims to develop students’ ability to write in different styles and genres. 
    3. Use research as a process of inquiry and engagement with multiple perspectives: This outcome emphasizes the importance of research in developing an informed perspective on a topic. 
    4. use reflection and other metacognitive processes to revise prior assumptions about reading and writing and transfer acquired knowledge into new writing situations: This means that you should be able to reflect on our own writing process, identifying areas for improvement, and apply what we have learned to new writing situations.
    5. Demonstrate the social and ethical responsibilities and consequences of writing: This means that we should be aware of the impact our writing can have on different audiences, cultures, and communities.
    6. Compose in 21st-century environments. This means that you should be able to use various digital tools, platforms, and media to create and share your writing effectively.

I believe we as a class have made a lot of progress because we have engaged in various activities such as reading and analyzing different texts, practicing different writing genres, and conducting research

As for which goals to focus on for the rest of the semester, I would suggest prioritizing the goal of composing in 21st-century environments, as it can help us develop digital literacy and adapt to the changing communication scenery.

5. Heylin D

I think the process I’ve had in the class is better than how I first started the semester with communicating, working together, helping each other, participating. In class we have improved skills that also helped me focus on writing more proficient as we are still doing. Although something I still need to improve more is my grammar when I write.

6. Duc Giang

As a class, we have been speaking and interacting more than we initially began. In my opinion, everyone has the chance to pick up new skills, make errors, and grow from them. Given that the majority of the students in this class did not attend school in an English-speaking nation, it would be more beneficial to focus on improving communication skills in this class.

7. Tatiana K

This class taught and still teaching me to learn how to write. How to work on my literary and grammatical mistakes.

Learn to focus on a topic and develop research questions that lead to propositions and claims that can be supported with well-reasoned arguments.

There is still a lot I have to work on in order to adapt writing conventions in different ways. Is still a need for me to get familiar to the multiple perspective research as a process of inquiry that’s why I follow professor’s instructions in every activity we have done in class. I take my time to focus and make my research before I write something. A lot of the outcomes listed here we already had discussed in class and It makes me feel that if we continue the same way we’ll end up well.

As this is a writing course, teaching us research techniques, essay writing, ability to use the library I am so grateful for the opportunity to take this class.

More of what I would like to learn in class is grammar, strategy, and techniques of corect writing. Progress is already seen, and this way we will only do better.

8. Darianny Morales

I think now I know what is a genres because in the pass when someone talked about that I was so lost but now I can know what it is. By other hand, I don’t think that I focus on a topic and develop with much information when I tried to focus or search for something I always missing something or add the most. As a class I think we have more confidence and that makes us learn more about any topic and about each one of us. Also, if we don’t know something we can ask without fear of being judged. In my opinion I think that the way the class is organized is fine since we speak, read and write which helps to improve our English and knowledge.

9. Tanvir Zaman

This class helps me improve my reading, writing, and critical thinking skills in the English language. In this class, I learn how to read and analyze a wide range of texts, including literary works, academic articles, and other forms of written communication. and I also learn how to write effectively, including how to organize my thoughts, develop a thesis statement, and support my arguments with evidence. This class helped me identify biases and assumptions and form independent opinions based on evidence. Overall, English 1101 ML will help me become a more confident and effective communicator in the English language, which can benefit me in a variety of personal and professional contexts. Whether I am pursuing further education, entering the workforce, or simply looking to improve my communication skills, this course can provide me with the tools I need to succeed.