Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | Spring 2024

2/14/24: Edward Jones, “First Day” Questions

Reread the selection- Mark passages to note contrasting ideas.

Example- C = A character seems confident and N= A character seems nervous

Shared Inquiry Questions to answer after the second reading.

1. Why does the narrator say that the story takes place “long before I learned to be ashamed of my mother”?
  2. Why does the narrator describe her appearance in such detail at the beginning of the story?
  3. Why does the narrator say that the woman seems” happier, so much more satisfied with everyone” after she finds out that the narrator mother can’t read the registration form?
  4. Why does the narrator describe her mother taking document after document out of her pocket book?
  5. Why does the narrator say she notices where her mother had darned one of her socks the night before as she walks away?
  6. At the end of the story, why does the narrator say “I can still hear my mother’s footsteps above it all”?
  7. Why does the “lack of concern” about the papers on the floor at Walker Jones make the narrator afraid?
  8. As her mother answers the questions, the woman reads off the form, why does the narrator say, “This is school, I think. This is going to school”?
  9. When the narrator touches her mother’s lips at the end of the story, why does her mother put the narrator’s hand down at the side?
  10. Why does the narrator repeat “This is my mother”?

1. Afrin Akter

1. When I went to School on first day I was very happy and excited. I went with my uncle. On my first day at school my parents brought sweets for all of my teachers. I got many friends and we all played together.
    2. My beautiful childhood memories with my mother. She always took care of me. She was like my best friend. She still love me and take care of me in same way. I’m so grateful for har.
  2. Farhan

1. The narrator says the story takes place “long before I learned to be ashamed of my mother” to indicate a time when societal judgments and prejudices had not yet affected the narrator’s perception of her mother.
    2. The narrator describes her mother’s appearance in detail at the beginning of the story to emphasize the contrast between her mother’s demeanor and the assumptions people might make based on her appearance.
    3. The narrator suggests that the woman seems happier after learning the narrator’s mother can’t read the registration form because it momentarily boosts the woman’s sense of superiority.
    4. The detailed description of the mother taking documents out of her pocketbook highlights her lack of preparedness, possibly due to financial constraints or a busy lifestyle.
    5. The narrator noticing the darned sock emphasizes the financial struggles and challenges the mother faces, underscoring her efforts to make ends meet.
    6. At the end of the story, the narrator hears her mother’s footsteps above it all to symbolize the enduring impact of her mother’s resilience and determination despite the challenges.
    7. The lack of concern about the papers on the floor at Walker Jones makes the narrator afraid because it suggests a disregard for important paperwork, which could have negative consequences for her mother.
    8. As her mother answers the questions and the woman reads off the form, the narrator realizes that she is going to school, marking a significant moment of recognition and understanding.
    9. When the narrator touches her mother’s lips, her mother puts the narrator’s hand down at the side to prevent any embarrassment or acknowledgment of their struggles.
    10. The repetition of “This is my mother” serves as a reaffirmation of the narrator’s love and acceptance of her mother despite societal judgments and challenges they face.

3. kenny

a. The narrator that this quote shows that at some point in the narrator’s life they began to feel ashamed of their mother, but that this feeling had not yet developed during the events described in the story.

b. The narrator begins by describing her appearance in detail. The detailed description helps set the tone for the story and allows the reader to gain insight into the narrator.

c. The narrator observes that after learning that the narrator’s mother cannot read the registration form, the woman appears happier, causing her to create a sense of contentment.

d. The mother takes document after document out of her wallet, an action that highlights that the mother is not prepared and may want to make sure she has all the documents she needs.

e. The narrator notices the sock, which embodies the nature of the family environment, the poverty of the mother’s family and her efforts to maintain frugality.

f. The narrator concludes by saying “I can still hear my mother’s footsteps” to emphasize her mother’s lasting influence and impact on their lives. Memories of his mother’s presence and influence still linger in the narrator’s mind.

g. The narrator becomes frightened because of Walker Jones’s lack of attention to the newspaper on the floor, suggesting that important documents are being ignored and may affect her mother’s anxiety.

h. The narrator realizes that the information presented is like the beginning of a new educational journey or experience and expresses a knowledge or understanding.

i. When the narrator touches her mother’s lips at the end of the story, her mother puts the narrator’s hand aside because she wants her daughter to be quiet and silent. The mother signals to the narrator to remain silent or to stop talking.

j. The line “This is my mother” is a stylistic device designed to emphasize the importance of the narrator’s relationship with his mother. By repeating this sentence, convey love or a desire to express the importance of the mother in the narrator’s life.

4. marias

1.The narrator says that the story takes place “long before I learned to be ashamed of my mother” because that way we can differentiate chronological time from history.

2. The narrator describes his appearance in such detail at the beginning of the story because he wants to draw the reader’s attention to important details and also give truth to the story.

3. The narrator says that the woman seems “happier, so much more satisfied with everyone”after she finds out that the narrator’s mother can’t read the registration form because the woman felt at an advantage compared to the narrator’s mother.

4. The narrator describes her mother taking document after document out of her pocket book because it possible to give us an idea of her lifestyle.

5. The narrator says she notices where her mother had dyed one of her socks the night before as she walks away because We can understand the mother’s difficulties through a worn sock and we can understand the mother’s effort. 

6. The narrator says “I can still hear my mothers footsteps above it all” because that marked the narrator in his life.

7. The “lack of concern” about the papers on the floor at Walker Jones makes the narrator afraid because it shows us the lack of interest. 

8. The narrator says “This is school, I think. This is going to school” because it’s something new to the narrator and the narrator is processing the situation. 

9.The narrator touches her mothers lips at the end of the story because it was a sign of silence. 

10. The narrator repeats “This is my mother” because the narrator wants to emphasize the story. 

5. Valentina Martinez

1.         Why does the narrator say that the story takes place “long before I learned to be ashamed of my mother”?

A: Maybe the writer wanted to refer to adolescence, as it is an age when young people feel socially pressured.

2.         Why does the narrator describe her appearance in such detail at the beginning of the story?

A: So the reader can have a clear idea of her appearance and the reader can keep reading with a “face” in mind.

3.         Why does the narrator say that the woman seems “happier, so much more satisfied with everyone” after she finds out that the narrator’s mother can’t read the registration form?

A: maybe because knowing that she had this advantage over the girl’s mother made her feel superior, so even though there wasn’t a good reason to be happy, she was.

4.         Why does the narrator describe her mother taking document after document out of her pocketbook?

A: The mother prepared all the documents in folders so that any paper needed could be readily available for her daughter to enroll and pursue her studies.

5.         Why does the narrator say she notices where her mother had darned one of her socks the night before as she walks away?

A: From that vantage point while she walked, she could clearly see it. It also speaks to her mother’s hard work and their economic situation.

6.         At the end of the story, why does the narrator say “I can still hear my mother’s footsteps above it all”?

A: Maybe because it was an important moment in her life, something that she keeps in her memory.

7.         Why does the “lack of concern” about the papers on the floor at Walker Jones make the narrator afraid?

A: Perhaps she’s worried because she knows they are important papers, and they are not being treated as such.

8.         As her mother answers the questions, the woman reads off the form, why does the narrator say, “This is school, I think. This is going to school”?

A: I think it represents her innocence in a new situation for her. Also her mother did not receive an education, as we can see in the story, so she probably never told her what it was like.

9.         When the narrator touches her mother’s lips at the end of the story, why does her mother put the narrator’s hand down at the side?

A: This part, for me, represents growth, the end of a stage, or simply the discomfort of her mother with the act in front of society.

10.       Why does the narrator repeat “This is my mother”?

A: Because she managed to see a side of her mother that she hadn’t been able to see before, and in a way, she feels proud.

6. Melanie

1. Because as the story progresses the girl discovers new facets of her mother.
    2. The narrator describes the beginning of the story so that readers can imagine the setting where things are happening and how they are happening.
    3. The narrator perhaps says that because the woman did not feel that she helped people much, but when she knew that her mother did not read, she could feel happy because she could finally help someone and that is why she seems to be happier.
    4. The narrator describes this moment to reveal what documents the girl needed to study and also to reveal what the girl felt when she saw so many documents.
    5.   The girl was able to see where she had done it because she was kneeling saying goodbye to the girl and she stood up revealing the darning.

6- I think it means that the little girl must face it all herself. Her mother did everything she could do to help her get to the school.

7- The lack of concern about the papers on the floor at Walker Jones makes the narrator afraid make the narrator realize that her mother isn’t a perfect person. She also has things she doesn’t know about and can’t be always at front of her.

8- narrator can see that all the process are going smoothly as her mother supporting her the right to attend school.

9- The narrator mentions that touches her mother’s lips was an old game between them, but her mother wants to tell this is not game and 

narrator must face everything further by herself until twelve o’clock.

10- The narrator felt proud to her mother again, even though she can’t read.

7. Junior Chamblain

1. 1 Why does the narrator say that the story takes place “long before I learned to be ashamed of my mother”?

The story takes place when the daughter doesn’t know much about life in general so she isn’t ashamed of her mother but maybe later on in life she grew to be ashamed to be the daughter of the mother.

2 Why does the narrator describe her appearance in such detail at the beginning of the story?

I think that in the beginning of the story all the details are given to us so that we can have a image of the story character like how she would look or smell

3 Why does the narrator say that the woman seems” happier, so much more satisfied with everyone” after she finds out that the narrator mother can’t read the registration form?

I think that the woman felt superior when she found out that she could not read but she could and had a sense of superiority. 

4 Why does the narrator describe her mother taking document after document out of her pocket book?

Maybe it was her first time looking at her mother, benign, so prepared for all the questions and the documents needed that she has a strong memory about it. 

5 Why does the narrator say she notices where her mother had darned one of her socks the night before as she walks away?

She started to notice all the little flaws in her mother after all of the things she has experienced throughout the day her thought of her perfect mother who knows everything who can solve everything the hero figure was being shattered little by little.

6 At the end of the story, why does the narrator say “I can still hear my mother’s footsteps above it all”?

Ans: The narrator needs to show how his mother’s presence in his life, how his mother cared for him even though his mother is dead

7 Why does the “lack of concern” about the papers on the floor at Walker Jones make the narrator afraid?

Ans:because she had problems about the education that her daughter could receive

8  As her mother answers the questions, the woman reads off the form, why does the narrator say, “This is school, I think. This is going to school”?

Ans: The narrator goes on talking to herself, “This is school, I guess. This is going to school,” for she is realizing the fact that what she is experiencing represents what going to school involves. 

9  When the narrator touches her mother’s lips at the end of the story, why does her mother put the narrator’s hand down at the side?

Ans.This is, incidentally, just the thing that the mother would rather the narrator did not – talk or ask about the events of the day. 

10  Why does the narrator repeat “This is my mother”?

Ans: to illustrate that she has an immense love and takes pride in her. the narrator uses this unique sentence structure to show pride in her mother.

8. Ahmed

1. The narrator mentions a time before feeling ashamed of their mom, hinting at a shift in emotions over time.
    2. Describing the appearance may highlight the significance placed on looks, reflecting personal feelings or societal expectations.
    3. The woman seems happier after learning the mom can’t read, suggesting a change in attitude based on incorrect assumptions.
    4. The detailed description of the mom taking out papers emphasizes the challenges she faces with paperwork.
    5. Noticing where the mom darned a sock shows her resourcefulness in fixing things, even small ones like socks.
    6. “I can still hear my mother’s footsteps above it all” signifies the enduring importance of the mom, even amid challenges.
    7. The lack of concern about papers on the floor at Walker Jones makes the narrator afraid due to the sense of disorder.
    8. The narrator feels like answering questions is similar to going to school, suggesting a learning experience.
    9. The mom puts the narrator’s hand down, possibly indicating a desire for privacy or a quiet moment.
    10. The narrator repeats “This is my mother” to emphasize and remind of the mother’s importance in their life.