Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | Spring 2024

2/14/24: Education Narrative: Unit 1, Outline

Education Narrative Outline & Essay

Hello ENG 1101ML D105ers. Please carefully read the assignment guidelines for the Education Narrative unit, because between now and next Wednesday (2/14), you should create an outline, and begin writing draft #1, of your own education narrative. I’ve attached an outline and essay example here, to give you an idea of the way one student sketched out and drafted an education narrative essay.Ā  Let me know if you have any questions about the assignment, the examples, or anything else. I hope you have a wonderful week, and I’ll see you on Wednesday.

1. Kevin

1st draft 

Summer vacation of 2023 I went to Korea again after 4 years of not visiting, but I didn’t go to visit family this time I went for SAT academy. Going back to Korea after 4 years felt really weird and me not learning to read or write Korean very well was a big disadvantage I had gotten since I had a very hard time going to places by train when I was alone. I lived alone for 2 months and luckily for me the academy was one stop away from me so there was no need for me to read the signs and have to travel to a far place. Living alone meant that I had the responsibility of studying without my parents pressuring me. I made friends with everyone in my class in the first week of getting into class. There were more students that were gonna show up. Procrastination is something that I struggle with a lot and I try to fix it but it isnā€™t that simple for me. I know that for some people procrastination is not even a concept in their world and I admire those people very much. Starting the academy was fun. I made new friends and went out with them but I didn’t pay enough attention to classes or did I put time into homework which led me to not improving my grades and lying to my parents that everything is going great and to not worry. My biggest regret is lying to my parents which I should really not have done. Eventually the academy ended and I went back to Guatemala. I took the test and got a really bad grade and I lied to my parents that I got a good grade and I also lied to the person that was helping me apply to cuny. Which made things worse and more complicated. There was one person I kept in contact at the time she was telling me how she was improving so much and that hurt me so much more and made me think if I had tried more I could have made things better and at some point all lies break and the truth reveals itself my parents found out the the truth and got really angry at me and lost trust in me and things got really complicated and stressing only if I would not have lied to my parents things would not have ended up that complicated. Now I don’t lie to my parents about my about anything because I realized that if I lie things get more complicated and I am gonna have to keep lying more and more to keep it a secret and the lie gets heavier every second you hold it and when you tell the truth you don’t have to keep the burden of having to lie again and again. I am still working on improving myself in many aspects like knowledge, making my body better by exercising, habits like making my bed or cleaning my room or keeping things in order, eating habits like eating more vegetables since I don’t eat them, bad habits in general like playing too much games, and more. I am still struggling in the department of procrastination which I will work until it is fixed.

2. achraf belli

On the occasion of my birthday, I would like to share with you one of my experiences in the education narrative and some good and wrong choices that I made in this life. 

Today officially I’ll be 24 years old, I always learn from my experiences in the past years and from others too, so I wanna talk about the importance of education in my life and how it changed the way that I’m thinking now. firstly, when I was a kid I go to school only because of the pressure of my parent and society, like every kid in this world we don’t know what is the purpose of education, but year after year we start knowing that is important to go to school to study and get good grades to get a good job than a lot of money in the future. I don’t think that at this age we will understand this thing because as a kid I wanna just play enjoy life I don’t care about the future I just wanna live in the moment .but the good thing is my parent especially my father always pushed me to study honestly I never like it how he makes the pressure on me to do my home work or to study en general, but now I feel him and I owe him that and I’m thinkful I have a father like him.

I was in high school and I was still that boy who went to school and got good grades only to achieve my parents’ wishes until I get my high school diploma here the story starts a lot a questions in my head what I’m gonna do I was always overthinking and stressful especially when my dad told me that he finish his mission now everything is on me, then I was setting alone in my room and I had a flashback to my dad’s paroles now I understand why he always ask to work hard in school and get good grades, now I knew why I will need this grades and this educational package for, the purpose was to be accepted in one of the best colleges in my country to graduate then looking for a good job for a good future for me and my whole family. I think it was easy objectif for my parents but who made it harder is I didn’t get it in that age ,but that didn’t stop me to work hard and looking for other choices I knew I can’t make it in a enginnering school because of my grades but there is always other ways , so I started looking in youtube how to became an enginner , I found that if you study for 2 years in community college and get good grade still have a chance to join a enginnering school , so that was my new purpose, I was accepted in a Institut I worked hard but motivated and that the thing that I was missing when I was in high school , now I know why I work hard because I have a goal to achieve, thanks god everything was like I planned I had the highest grade in the school , then I applied for another college were I got my bachelor’s degree ,but still my purpose to be an enginner so I was making plans after graduation but I got the chance to immigrate to the united state here where the story finished ,I choose the US because it will more opportinities and better future for me of course but I always have that dream to finish what I started 4 years ago. that’s why I’m here today as a student in technology school and I will not give up until I achieve my dream.

3. Giselle

Outline

Background: 

1. My childhood is in Brooklyn, NY
    2. I speak English and Spanish, but with my siblings I speak with them more in English and a little bit of Spanish, and with my parents I speak with them in Spanish. Speaking both of these languages makes me feel comfortable.
    3.  Both of these languages represent where I was born and where Iā€™m from.

B. My experience with English and Spanish:

1. My first language was Spanish because my parents taught me how to speak Spanish.
    2. My second language was English and I learned some English from my parents and more English in school.
    3. I had a hard time learning two languages at once because I speak Spanish at home and sometimes a little bit of Spanish, more English at school and I sometimes canā€™t keep up or remember what language I am speaking about.

C. How I learned to love reading and writing

1. Reading books and writing was fun for me and Iā€™ve always loved writing a lot and reading books that were interesting, and funny.
    2. I liked reading books because it feels like itā€™s real life and that weā€™re not the only ones that experience this, but others too. Also that reading books encourages us to become a better person, life lessons and learning new things.
    3. When I was in elementary school I always loved writing a lot. I think I liked it because it was a hobby for me, and right now I still love writing because it’s fun for me to write and I like to write all my ideas down.
  4. Ahmed

Draft #1: A Turning Point in My Learning Journey

My school story took a significant turn during my sophomore year in high school. Struggling in classes and haunted by the fear of failure, my outlook on education changed dramatically in an English class that introduced me to “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee. Little did I know, this book would become the key to unlocking a new perspective on learning and shape my understanding of broader societal issues.

“To Kill a Mockingbird” wasn’t just another assignment; it was a literary revelation. The themes of racism and fairness woven into the narrative opened my eyes to the power of literature. It transformed the way I perceived school, turning it from a chore into a tool for understanding the world. The excitement I found in the book turned my academic struggles into opportunities for discovery.

This impact extended beyond my personal experience. The issues highlighted in “To Kill a Mockingbird,” such as racism and unfairness, were not confined to fiction; they reflected real-world problems. This realization forced me to think critically about the role our education system plays in perpetuating or challenging these societal inequalities.

As I navigated through school, I couldn’t ignore the disparities in opportunities. Students from certain backgrounds faced more challenges, revealing the intersectionality of race and education. My own journey became a part of a broader narrative about how race affects educational experiences ā€“ who gets opportunities and who doesn’t.

The transformative moment with “To Kill a Mockingbird” reshaped my understanding of reading. It wasn’t just about deciphering words; it became a superpower to empathize and understand others’ experiences. The language used by Harper Lee in the book taught me that language was more than grammar rules; it was a powerful tool to talk about important things. I started appreciating diverse ways of speaking and writing beyond what was taught in textbooks.

This turning point didn’t just change how I learned; it changed how I saw the world. It made me more understanding and interested in different perspectives. I began to see education as a puzzle, where pieces like race and background fit together to shape the whole picture. This awareness fueled my commitment to advocating for fairer practices and addressing educational inequalities.

In conclusion, this narrative reflects the profound impact of one special book on my educational journey. It goes beyond the classroom, shaping not only my personal growth but also influencing societal understanding. As I continue to learn and grow, I carry the lessons from “To Kill a Mockingbird,” understanding that education has the power to make positive changes in individual lives and our world.

5. Melanie

Melanie Tusa

First Draft

In 2017, I was a girl who was about to enter seventh grade at a school in the town of Quisapincha, which is located in the city of Ambato. Education was very low because it should be noted that I studied in a public school from a very young age.

At school they taught me math, science, social studies, the basics that are taught to students but English was never part of these classes. In each class there was a designated teacher, this teacher had to perform in all subjects to teach the students. However, most of them did not know English, so most of the students did not speak English. Most of the classes were used to do simple homework and the other part was used to learn about the topic given for each week.

A topic was taught in 3 or 4 days, it must be said that the topics were too easy to learn and those that were difficult they did not take the time to teach us well. Apart from the fact that they didn’t teach well, we were punished for the slightest mistake. What do I want to say with that? The teachers used to put exercises on the blackboards for each student to solve, each student solved an exercise but the student who couldn’t was punished with a ruler in his hands, was yelled at by the teacher, hit on the head or hit against the blackboard. . If the student made a mistake, he was frowned upon by the teacher to the point where they had to repeat the year just because the teacher gave them a bad grade for a job well done.

I was a clear witness of this event, a day like any other was a school day and a classmate did not attend that day. The teacher was used to sending the homework of that student who did not attend to a student who did go to class. That day the teacher sent me the homework of my classmate who did not attend because he had stayed at his house playing. My mother realized this and complained about it. From that day on I got bad grades and was treated differently from my other classmates.

The school year had ended and my parents moved to Quito, central Ecuador, where I was enrolled in a new school. A paid school, a very good school in the city. The first day arrived and I had to attend. The school was definitely very different from the one I had been to before, the teachers were friendlier, kinder people who taught us more and in detail with exercises that they themselves helped us to understand better. I got to take classes that I hadn’t taken. Three English classes (grammar, literature and oral communication), computer class, religion, history and discipline class. While studying I realized that my knowledge was developing more and I was happy to know things that I had not heard. At school they had parties for the end of the school year or they had a movie room so that all the students could enjoy, it was definitely a very fun time and full of knowledge.

Time passed until September 3, 2019 arrived, a new school year in which we all hoped it would be a more beautiful stage of our adolescence and education, but the pandemic arrived on February 29, 2020 into our lives, causing us all to lock ourselves up. in our homes and we received online classes. My parents did not know what to do, my parents’ work could not continue due to the pandemic, debts, rent and school pension increased. Until April 2021, we decided to migrate to the United States for the economy and a better life for my parents and me. I entered a school called The Brooklyn School For Social Justice. I made new friends and realized that there were classes I had never taken at my previous school such as economics, criminal justice, health education, swimming and environment. Everything was really different from where I used to study and the English I learned at my previous school I applied at my new school because everyone spoke English. I studied two years in Social Justice making new friends who are now like my family and creating a new knowledge of things.

Education is of great importance for a person because it develops their knowledge in order to form a better society. Education helps young people to be able to find a job, to know what is right and wrong. Liberate, innovate and provide knowledge to people who don’t know. I experienced my knowledge in 3 schools and it was the best because it helped me realize that not all schools are the same. Some have more things to teach and others do not have enough to teach the students. In each experience I was impressed by everything and now I am at university. Knowing what is the good and the bad of life. We all have different experiences in education but this was mine.

6. Farhan Zaman

first draft

I was born in Bangladesh. I was childhood was in Bangladesh. I used to speak Bengali and English. I grow up in city. I have two siblings. I speak Bengali with my siblings and with my parents. They can speak English too but they feel more comfortable to speak Bengali with me. When I first came here I didn’t know English that much. I only knew few basic stuff But I got few good friends. They helped me a lot. I learned many things by them and still learning. I had to go through a lot to settled here because the culture and language food everything is different from my country. So it was took me a while to settle in USA.

at the beginning I didn’t understand any in class because all class was different from my home country. Also at that time had no friend. I felt very lonely in classroom also they all from different country so I had hard time to understand their language. But after few month I got used to it. They all became friendly with me.

In 2022 I was turned 18. after turn 18 I start working. at that time I was in 12 grade. I had school 5 day on a week also I had work 5 day on a week. My life was very difficult at that moment . I had to go work after school, I didn’t even had no enough time to do my homework and other stuff. That time I felt how hard people work to survive. But My family was very supportive.

7. Turiqul khan

In 2016, I finished my high school in Bangladesh. After graduating from high school, I was preparing to enter college. My parents were interested in sending me abroad for further education. But I refused to go abroad because I wanted to stay with my family and friends in my country. I was against my parents, and I decided to finish my studies in my country. When I was studying in high school, I was more active in sports clubs, cultural clubs, and other activities. Also, I was a very good student, so I was very well-known in my school. I had lots of friends, and I enjoyed my school life. However, I wished to stay in my country and finish my further education with my friends. My parents had always had a dream when I finished high school, they would like to send me abroad for my further education. They were thinking that if I studied abroad, I would have a great career. They were thinking that the sooner I could leave, the sooner I would be able to better my life there. My parents said, ā€˜Time never waits for anyone, so you have to decide at the right timeā€™. I didnā€™t agree with them, but they were forcing me and trying to make me understand what would be good for my future. I was also trying to tell them if I stayed in my country and finished my study it would be good for me. After that, I started my study in college with my best friend. At that time, I used to hang out with my friends. Also, I liked to travel with my friends, and I didnā€™t like to study. Always I liked to stay outside and hanged out with my friends. I couldnā€™t attend college regularly, and I could not study properly, that’s why my exam results were not good. I was a good student in school, but I was not like that in my college life Thatā€™s why my parents were so worried about me. I was getting depressed. So, I couldnā€™t finish college, then I stopped my studies. But my parents didn’t want me to drop out they wanted me to do higher study. After a few years, they again decided to send me abroad for my higher education. Finally, I agreed with them, and I came to the USA for my higher education. As a newcomer I had to go through a lot of struggles, I couldnā€™t find a good job because I didnā€™t have the educational background or any work experience in New York. After a few months, I realized that without Education I could not do any better here. After a few days, I decided to start college here and I was admitted to New York City Tech College. I realized, here the education system was better than my country. Also, there are a lot of opportunities for students. Here the education system is very easy to understand, and itā€™s not very hard for international students. Here teachers are very encouraging, and friendly. Besides studying, students can also work. They can build their career at a very young age, and they can be financially healthy. But in my country, we donā€™t have this opportunity and sometimes our country’s education system is not organized, and some teachers are not that helpful. Finally, I feel we should listen to our parents because they always want to best for us. sometimes, they suggest the best thing. I wish I had listened to my parents before, so I shouldnā€™t have gone through all these troubles, and I wouldnā€™t have had to interrupt my education in Bangladesh. However, I finally listened to my parents, and I came to the USA for further education, that decision was very significant for my life.