Today’s journal entry revolves around ethics in design. I will be drawing insights from the pages of the AIGA Design and Business Ethics Handbook. These readings have allowed me to reflect and resonate with my experiences during my internship.

Value of Design and Ethical Commitment:

The handbook emphasizes the unique nature of graphic design. Design is not just a commodity but the result of collaborative and creative efforts. Good design is where people come together to achieve something that couldn’t be done alone. This resonates deeply with my internship, where collaboration and creativity are at the core of our projects.

What sets our internship apart is our unwavering commitment to ethics, driven by a sincere desire to better serve not just the students at City Tech but also OpenLab itself. Our pursuit of ethical design is deeply rooted in our mission to create meaningful, impactful experiences for our users.

Ethical Design Practices:

In a world where design plays a crucial role in attracting and retaining customers, ethical design practices are essential. The readings underscore that ethical design isn’t just about aesthetics; it’s about the quality of the human act that often affects various conditions. It’s a reminder that the word “design” here is always in the context of good design.

At our internship, ethical design isn’t merely a checkbox; it’s the foundation of our commitment to making OpenLab a better platform for students and the community. Our ethical principles guide us in ensuring that we uphold the values and reputation of both City Tech and OpenLab.

Competing for Attention and Serving Better:

In today’s fast-paced world, attracting customers has become a significant challenge. The competition for “eyeballs” extends beyond the internet and into all industries. Effective communication and differentiation have become crucial for business success, increasing the pressure on companies to create environments and attitudes that foster creative attempts. Here, the handbook suggests that companies that value design often lead.

Our internship embodies this philosophy. We’re not just competing for attention; we’re striving to serve our community better. Every design decision we make, every creative endeavor we undertake, is rooted in our commitment to improve OpenLab for the students and the entire community.

Illustration Ethics:

Moving on, I also had the chance to explore ethical considerations related to illustration. Respecting the rights of illustrators is not just a matter of ethics; it’s also a legal and professional obligation. It emphasizes the value of intellectual property, both for colleagues and clients. The readings clarify that it’s unethical to ask an illustrator to mimic another artist’s style, as it infringes on intellectual property rights.

Photography and Legalities:

The readings also shed light on photography-related ethical considerations. The requirement of obtaining releases from individuals in photographs, especially for advertising or trade purposes, highlights the importance of consent and legal protections. Additionally, the use of pre-existing images through stock agencies is a practice that can help avoid some contractual issues. However, it’s crucial to adhere to the terms of stock licenses and usage restrictions, as ignoring these may lead to legal consequences.

As I continue my internship journey, these ethical insights remind me of the responsibility that comes with creative work. Ethics and professionalism in design are not only about aesthetics but about respecting intellectual property, ensuring consent, and following legal standards. They serve as guiding principles in creating meaningful and impactful design.

During my internship, an interesting aspect of the experience has been the absence of a confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement for the internship site. As interns, we recognize the value of this open approach, understanding that it reflects a mutual trust between the organization and us. In addition to this, we acknowledge the responsibility to uphold ethical standards and work towards serving our community better.

Thank you for joining me on this reflective journey.