Discussion Topic: The Art of Food

Happy Thanksgiving! It seems appropriate that we think about food this week, and the idea of food as art.  There is a long history of photographing food for commercial purposes.  The following NPR article outlines a current evolution in food photography, in which more people are becoming engaged with the aesthetics of food.  Watch a video by the performance artist Jennifer Rubell who produced an installation for the Brooklyn Museum centered around food.  Lastly, look at some examples of Thanksgiving-theme food art by amateurs. What do you think of Food as Art?

NPR’s “Appetizing Art of Food Photography”

Thanksgiving Food Art

This entry was posted in Discussion Topic and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Discussion Topic: The Art of Food

1. I think that the art of food is something that is growing and that people are being more engaged to it. When people begin art they usually begin painting still like when with still life it usually is food. When I watched the art of food clip linked on the blog site I thought the show was interesting, it allowed many of the people themselves to be part of something that you do not see every day. One of the most interesting things I saw in that show was the cheese heads that were hanging and being melted in the show, while it’s a piece of art, the heads were being melted for the people to use crackers and eat with it. At first, judging the name of the show, I did not think much of the show but as you got to see what the curator did in the show, you begin to want to join in the fun and the art and hard work put together and it seemed like the show was just for fun.

2. I think that the art of food is something that is growing and that people are being more engaged to it. When people begin art they usually begin painting still like when with still life it usually is food. When I watched the art of food clip linked on the blog site I thought the show was interesting, it allowed many of the people themselves to be part of something that you do not see every day. One of the most interesting things I saw in that show was the cheese heads that were hanging and being melted in the show, while it’s a piece of art, the heads were being melted for the people to use crackers and eat with it. At first, judging the name of the show, I did not think much of the show but as you got to see what the curator did in the show, you begin to want to join in the fun and the art and hard work put together and it seemed like the show was just for fun.

3. It seems interesting but kind of wasteful. Around the world there are thousands even millions of starving people and to see all that food which most is being thrown around, it just seems weird. It seems nice but not art, i think art should take talent and to me cooking some food then just putting it next to each other isn’t art. The knowledge people knew was interesting for instance when the woman mentioned the renaissance and how food gatherings would be seen as art, i feel that now in the 21st century that isn’t really art.

4. JonathanChu says:

I believe that food art is an interesting concept because it’s basically a bizarre way of presenting food. It’s similar to hibachi where the chef performs tricks while making the food for the people watching. Although the food art in the video was more bizarre and on a bigger scale I think it’s fascinating and it gives people another thing to enjoy about while eating besides taste and good company.

5. ACamara says:

I think art is not food for many reasons. For an example, food is a thing in which it helps humans survive. Humans would be able to survive without art. People can be creative with the food they make and that’s what art is but at the same food is something and digested into human waste. So saying art is food would be saying art is waste in my opinion. But I think people should use paintings to advertise food, that would be a great idea.

6. ACamara says:

7. Juwel says:

Art is something that gives things a clear vision and makes them look alive. Food is something that we human need everyday to survive. We can not think of our existence without food. I’ll say making art out of food is something very stupid and wasting. Something that already saves life, there is no point of making it look alive or giving it a meaning.

8. Natasha says:

As a person who sympathize with nations who have scarcity for food,it was just overwhelming to see so much food used To show art . It could have been done in a smaller size and comes off as wasteful.If I was to be a participant in an event like this I really doubt I would eat anything because too much anything comes off as unattractive. When you think about large amounts of food it reminds you of the renaissance where they use food to celebrate in large feasts.
    With all that said honestly I found her style and presentation to be interesting ,especially the melting cheese that drips and gives a fondue effect.

9. Anujat Deb says:

Food being displayed as art seems interesting, but disgusting at the same time. After watching that video, I saw that food was publicly displayed and anyone from anywhere can just come and touch it. I find it disgusting because you don’t know who came and did what to all the food. Anyone could just walk in and spit on the food without anyone ever knowing. Although food as art seems very interesting and entertaining, I rather just have my food given to me normally as I can assure nothing has happened to the food that I am eating.

10. I found this video to be very interesting. Although i probably wouldn’t eat any of the food being displayed due to the fact that so many different people are there touching it. I mean, that’s unsanitary but nevertheless extremely creative. I liked the way she melted the cheese. Sculpted her head in cheese and then hung it from the lights to make them melt, genius! I think this takes a lot of time, and although it’s interesting, it’s probably a waste of time because not a lot of people know about food being used as art.

11. I love art works that involve food in it. It is a different and creative way to express art. Regarding to the exhibition, I liked the melting heads but anything else didn’t really call a lot of my attention. About food photography, I love it. A high quality picture of a beautifly presented meal is very appealing to me. It is very important for advertising and sometimes for cooking recipies too. Food presentation is very important in my opinion. You dont want to eat something that looks disgusting! and in the same way, you would love to eat something that looks delicious. For some reason I also take pictures of meals when I go to restaurants. I just love food. Regarding to the 14 examples of thanksgiving dinner, I loved them. Some of them were very beautiful. As the author explains, (photography) mostly all getting togethers and holidays are celebrated with food. So why make it doll if it is such an important part in our lives?