Pictures of Pictures

I agree with Roberta Smith that a large portion of art viewing is done through the viewfinder or a camera or the screen of a phone.  This happens everywhere from art exhibits, to concerts to theatrical performances and even in restaurants; I find that with the spread of digital photography and the increased ease of use I go to events to experience something, but instead have my view obstructed by people holding up cellphones to take pictures they’ll never look at again so they can post it on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or a blog so they can show people they were there and saw x, y or z.  I feel this is taking away from experiencing someone else’s art for those taking the pictures and the people around them.  Instead of being there to take in what is seen we are now busy trying to capture it to create art or a message of our own.  It relates to the concept of truth we have been discussing in class where originally photographs were seen as truth, we seem to think that if we take a picture to show people we went somewhere or saw something it is more real for them as well as for ourselves.

I have found myself doing this as well and the more I do so am trying to get away from the habit as the photographs are becoming more of a hindrance to my experience and memory rather than an aid.  I have also seen some amazingly artistic pictures taken of other peoples art that in essence become art of its own, so it isn’t completely without merit, but I do think intention plays a large part in that.

I also agree with the point that the casual nature of the screen on a cellphone or mini-camera is changing the look of photography.  There is much less time and thought put into the image and one can simply see the image they want appear on the screen then capture it.  So much has been lost when the artistic expressions of focus, shutter speed and composition are removed.

This entry was posted in Responses and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.