Basement Vodou

Documenting a religious experience can be possible, and this is nothing new to us because we’ve seen in photographs (“Crucifix with the Roman Soldier, 1896 by Holland Day).  I think that one of the reasons of documenting religious photographs is to make people understand how important a religion can be for certain individuals (Haitians).  Shannon Taggart’s photographs shows a country’s believes about their religion that can make people wonder about the way they express, invoke Gods, and sacrifice animals.  I also think that by showing photographs regardless of the religion, it will always be valuable for the society to learn and undertand and respect their believes.

I think everyone has the right to decide whether a photograph is intrusive or not. It all depends on how you want to see it or how you want to express it. In my case, I do find this photographs a little bit intrusive because i’m not used to seeing photographs, however, I do respect their religion and all the things they do or say. And I think this religion is an interesting subject of study for all the history behind.