Old Processes, New Advertising: David B.

The wet-plate process (originally called the Wet Collodion Process) was developed in 1848, by early pioneer Frederick Scott Archer. This form of photography uses glass plates to produce photographic negatives. The glass plate must remain wet the entire time, hence the term “wet-plate process”. Prior to reading this article, I had never heard of such a “magical” process of photography.

I think the main reason photographers are using the wet-plate process is because they want a more authentic looking photograph rather than have an instant digital one. Although this is a long and tedious process, the end result is definitely worth all the time invested into making it. As Mr. Malmberg put it, its “a pain”. This is why only truly dedicated photographers get involved in such a project.

In Louis Vuitton’s Double Exposure film, the photographer explains that because of the wet-plate process, she views portraiture in a completely different way and I agree 100%. It adds a “stillness” to the photograph, which is apparently hard to come by in modern photography today.  The film states that it takes an entire day to develop just two photographs. Honestly, I wouldn’t be able to replicate the wet-plate process because it’s such a time consuming process.

One Response to Old Processes, New Advertising: David B.

1. Sandra Cheng says:

Nice post. I like the way you emphasize the sense of stillness, which in an odd way turns all subjects into objects. and perhaps is a good method for advertising to sell things.