This assignment focuses on the design of the exterior wall assembly for the case study building, utilizing masonry as the primary material. Each student will develop a system for the exterior wall, document it in two and three dimensions, annotate its components to demonstrate their role in the assembly.
Animations of Plan Detail:
This assignment introduces building assemblies that will be developed and enhanced in the Building Technology courses that continue the sequence.
Understanding of three-dimensional projection and material properties and modules, completion of the required readings.
Student work submitted must be original and developed individually. Tracing is not acceptable. All construction lines and notations during drawing construction are to remain visible at final submission. Drawings without construction lines (guidelines) will be downgrading significantly.
|Learning Outcomes||Assessment Methods|
|Upon successful completion of this assignment the student shall be able to:||To evaluate the students’ achievement of the learning objectives, the professor will do the following:|
|Develop coordinated, accurate, and consistent set of two and three-dimensional drawings documenting the exterior wall assembly.||Review student drawing set for consistency, orthographic projection and coordination between drawings, and dimensional accuracy.|
|Understand some of the basic principles used in the appropriate selection of interior and exterior construction materials, finishes, products, components, and assemblies based on their inherent performance, including environmental impact and reuse.||Review student notebooks and drawing set submission for proper application of material properties, rules of thumb, and performance analysis.|
|Understand and apply basic principles of performance analysis.||Review student performance analysis diagram for application of conventions and accuracy of analysis.|
How this assignment will be graded:
Link for the grading rubric: https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/arch1231coursehub/2021/08/16/module-2-how-this-assignment-will-be-graded/
NOTE: All drawings to be 1/2″=1′-0″ on 12″x 18″ sheets unless otherwise agreed with your professor.
- Plan Detail
- Wall Section
- Axon Detail
Recommended step by step procedure:
- Review animations and exemplary student work samples to gain insight of scope of work and standards of excellence and quality
- Layout out reference lines for plan detail (structural grid lines and primary guide lines
- Working in the sequence of construction, layout each layer of elements, building up the piers of the exterior wall in the plan detail
- Study and layout the window, interior window sill, and exterior window sill
- Refine the line weights to provide proper reading of drawing, with special attention to the poche line weight.
- Using the plan detail as an underlay, begin development of the wall section, starting with reference lines (top of finished floor, top of interior window sill, bottom of stone lintel, structural grid line.)
- Pay special attention to window sill and head conditions.
- Using the plan detail as an underlay (rotated 30 degrees) begin development of axon detail with reference/grid lines.
- Complete each of these drawings. Scan on flatbed scanner and format per the course formatting guidelines (found here)
- Submit all formatted files as instructed by your professor