Click here for a PARSE-style list of service activities.
Maintained by me as part of my work as Job Placement Coordinator and contains information on jobs, events, and alumni news.
Mentoring students is part of my service to the college. Click here to learn more about our research projects.
Service – Overview
My service to the Department of Construction Management and Civil Engineering (CMCE)/School of Technology and Design (SoTD)/City Tech reflects my desire to involve CMCE and City Tech-wide students in beneficial activities, to support City Tech goals, and promote the College throughout NYC.
I have served through administrative and other assignments in the following ways:
College / School
1. College Council, Vice-Chair (2019-2020)
2. College Council, Secretary (2020-2021 Sp)
3. College Council Curriculum Committee, Chair (2021 Fa – present)
4. College Council Curriculum Committee, Member (2019 – present)
5. The School of Technology and Design (SoTD) and CMCE Delegate to Library Advisory Committee (LAC) (2019 – present)
6. SoTD ABET Committee Delegate from CMCE (2017 – present)
7. CUNY Service Corps Applicant (2014-2015)
8. U.S. Department of Energy (US DOE) Solar Decathlon Team, Faculty Mentor (2015)
9. Committee for Global Climate Change Course Development, Member (2014)
1. Lead Author of BTech Accreditation Self Study Report (2017-2021) Authored 370+ page ABET Self Study report (successfully defended 2021)
2. ABET Coordinator for the Construction Engineering Technology Bachelor of Technology degree program (2017-2021)
3. CMCE Delegate to College Council (2019 – present)
4. Department Job Placement Coordinator (2019 – present)
5. Annual Career Fair / Career Week Organizer (2020 – present)
5. CMCE 2021 graduation liaison (2021)
6. Department ABET Coordinator for Construction Management AAS program (2016-2017)
7. City Tech Representative at ABET Symposium in Baltimore, MD (2017)
8. Department Undergraduate Research Mentor (2016 – present)
9. Instructor for Honors in a Regular Course (2021)
10. CM Point of contact for articulation agreements, Brooklyn STEAM Center (2021)
11. Department Club Advisor (2014 – present)
12. High School Recruitment Liason, William E. Grady High School and HSCTEA (2014-2018)
13. AEC Industry Mentor Dinner Organizer (2017 – 2018)
14. CMCE Interdisciplinary Curriculum Committee (2014-2015)
15. Department Industry Outreach Liason (2014 – present)
16. CMCE Attendee at Annual HSCTEA Career Fair events (2014-2018)
Undergraduate Researcher, Emerging Scholars Program Participant, CMCE 2321 Construction Management II Honors Student, and award winner for Best STEM poster at the 33rd Semi-Annual Dr. Janet Liou-Mark Honors and Undergraduate Research Scholars Poster Presentation.
Research projects: “Benefits of Pre-Construction Analysis: CET Senior Capstone Expands Understanding of an Urban Refuge at GallopNYC Sunrise Stables” and “Understanding Time, Cost, Quality & Risk Trade-Off in Construction Projects Through a Review of Literature.”
Undergraduate Researcher, CMCE 4800 Senior Capstone Project Honors Student.
Research project: “Building Green Through Material Evaluation & Selection: Case Study in the Bahamas”
Undergraduate Researcher, CUNY Research Scholars Program Participant, LSAMP Recipient, and Emerging Scholars Program Participant
Research Project: “Selection of Materials and Techniques for Construction Under Extreme Heat Conditions”
Undergraduate Researcher and Emerging Scholars Program Participant
Research Project: “The 1935 Hurricane Houses of Islamorada: A Case of Successful and Rapidly Deployed
- College Council service including Secretary, Vice Chair, Executive Committee, Committee on Committees, and Curriculum Committee responsibilities.
- ABET accreditation – preparation for/of Self Study report and site visit including: data collection and analysis, school and department coordination, and updating of activities for new criteria and COVID-19 concerns.
- Mentoring student research.
- Promoting student career and higher education goals, including as CMCE Job Placement Coordinator and through the expansion of the annual Career Fair.
- Serving as Advisor to student clubs and supervising student activities.
- Collaborating with the College for conference work.
- Participation in College-wide activities including OER, WAC, Library Committee, Theatreworks, and others.
- CUNY Service Corps facilitation.
- Ongoing training and continuing education including Title IX, hybrid training, and industry training.
I serve College Council as the CMCE representative, voting member, and Secretary (formerly Vice Chair). In this role I attend and advise on general body meetings and well as those of the Executive Committee.
A major portion of my time is spent in service as the Construction Management and Civil Engineering Department ABET Coordinator for the Construction Engineering Technology Bachelor of Technology degree accreditation by the US-based (and internationally recognized) ABET accrediting board. This service is connected to the CMCE Department, SoTD, and City Tech because our departmental accreditation work links to the other SoTD departments through strategy meetings and reflects on the quality of the City Tech degree programs. Additional information about ABET can be found in Section 22, above.
In my role as a faculty member of the School of Technology and Design, I am working to ensure varied opportunities for interdepartmental networking and opportunities for students in related disciplines. I have collaborated on interdepartmental projects such as the Career Fair and Tech Seminar, Solar Decathlon, and OER. I work on the SoTD ABET Committee and have served in the past on school sustainability initiatives.
I serve as the Club Coordinator and Student/Chapter Advisor for many of the Construction Management Clubs in our Department, including Sigma Lambda Chi, the International Construction Honor Society that I brought to City Tech; AGC, a dormant chapter that I revived; and ASC, an active support organization for students and faculty in construction programs. I am an active Advisor, supporting club meeting, chaperoning and coaching competition teams, as well as launching, fundraising, and organizing our now annual Department Dinner (the AEC Mentor Dinner) with our student clubs.
In my role as a Construction Management specialist within the Department of Construction Management and Civil Engineering, I am working to ensure the continuous improvement of our Department’s course offerings and varied opportunities for networking and career paths for our students.
See event promotions below:
ABET Coordinator for the Construction Engineering Technology Bachelor of Technology degree & Lead Author of BTech Accreditation Self Study report, fall 2017-2021; ABET Coordinator for Construction Management AAS program, spring 2016-2017
The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc. (ABET) is the recognized standard U.S. accreditor of college and university programs in applied science, computing, engineering, and technology. Receiving a degree from an ABET accredited program puts students significantly closer to their goal of becoming a Professional Engineer (PE) than by receiving a degree from a non-ABET accredited program. Therefore, achieving and maintaining ABET accreditation is extremely important to our students.
Reach: Primarily US Colleges and Universities supporting engineering programs.
Involvement: Developing the strategy for accreditation data collection, attending monthly CMCE and SoTD ABET meetings, attending the ABET Conference, Coordinating data collection each semester, organizing and analyzing data collected, writing ABET Self Study report, preparing document room, and facilitation of the ABET site visit for the Construction Engineering Technology Bachelor of Technology degree. Updating collection and reporting for new requirements. Coordinating with CMCE Civil Engineering Associate ABET Coordinator, Navid Allahverdi.
- I am responsible for the design and collection of data on CMCE’s BTech classes to satisfy ABET’s review process.
- I am responsible for coordination with faculty and adjunct faculty to collect assessment and other documentation.
- I am responsible for assembling data and writing the ABET Self Study Report, a semesters-long process involving coordination with and data collection from all department faculty, full-time and adjunct.
- I attend monthly meetings with SoTD with CMCE Civil Engineering Associate ABET Coordinator, Navid Allahverdi, to reconcile our school accreditation procedures.
- I attend monthly, and then weekly (Spring 2020) CMCE meetings to coordinate accreditation efforts between the BTech and AAS programs.
- I am responsible for updating collection and reporting data and procedures. Per ABET: “On November 2, 2019, the ABET Engineering Technology Area Delegation approved for implementation in the 2020 – 2021 accreditation cycle non-substantive changes in the General Criteria for Accrediting Engineering Technology Programs, Criterion 5.”
- I am responsible for understanding and updating procedures as required due to COVID-19 complications, including coordinating with with SoTD planning, moving to a digital review in lieu of in-person site visit, complying with changing deadlines, and off- site collection and analysis.
- I attended the April 20-21, 2017. City Tech Representative at ABET Symposium in Baltimore, MD
- I am responsible for ongoing ABET coordination and collection of data, including:
- Spring 2018 – 2020 – BTech program data to be coordinated with all faculty; course work samples must be collected from representative classes; full time and adjunct faculty CVs and information must be collected; department catalog, course listing, and website information must be coordinated.
- Coordinator for Construction Management AAS program
- Spring 2016 – CMCE 2321 Construction Management II, Created assignments and collected student works. Completed rubrics for assessment of ABET target goals. Coordinated with Professor Norouzi through email and office meetings.
- Spring 2016 – CMCE 4701 Construction Field Management, Coordinated with adjunct faculty for the distribution of student assignments and the faculty’s completion of rubrics for assessment of ABET target goals. Managed through phone calls and emails, with one classroom visitation for coordination.
CMCE Job Placement Coordinator, since fall 2019
I serve the department and students as the Job Placement Coordinator, promoting job openings, training, and scholarship opportunities to our students. I work directly with job recruiters and companies all week as well as well as meeting with students and answering questions by email. My activities included the following:
- Held weekly office hours devoted to student career advisement (1 hour weekly or by appointment)
- Developed, recruited for, and hosted annual Career Fair and Technology Seminar (last held, February 20, 2020 in the New Academic Building. See flyer.)
- Coordinated with job recruiters to post job openings and when needed, vet student applicants.
- Coordinated with companies and government agencies to recruit student interns and graduate employees
- Responded to student inquiries on job openings.
- Posted job openings, training, and scholarship opportunities to CMCE Job Board and work with student employees for postings to the Job Board.
- The digital job board can be found in the City Tech OpenLab, link: CMCE Career – Career Information and Opportunities for Construction Management and Civil Engineering Students and Graduates (cuny.edu)
AEC Industry Mentor Dinner Organizer
Students from the Department of Construction Management and Civil Engineering, City Tech Alumni, and other industry professionals from Construction, Engineering, and Architecture joined for a special dinner at the River Café/Vinegar Hill House to celebrate the achievements of City Tech students and alumni. It’s a way to expose students to different career and education paths emerging from our industry, introduce them to professional networking, and to raise the visibility of the Construction Management and Civil Engineering degrees that we offer.
Organization: Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) industry Mentor Dinner, an annual event I developed to bring attention to City Tech and CME, honor outstanding alumni and students, as well as introduce students to industry networking.
Involvement: Event founder and Faculty Chair
Participants: 30-40 attendees from the AEC industry, City Tech administration, CMCE faculty, students, abnd grad school recruiters
- Spring 2017 – CURRENT
- Chaired the event planning and sponsored the event during its development.
- Recruited 40 attendees annually, including Present Hotzler, Provost August, Dean Hom, Department Chair Professor Cioffi and incoming Chair Professor Shields, Construction Managers, Engineers, Architects, NYU Graduate School faculty, alumni, and over 20 student representatives from our BTech program, Steel Bridge Team, ASC Competition Team, and Capstone class.
- Coordinated fundraising for the event.
- Developed event programs and materials.
- Coordinated with Student Event Chair, Khiran Samsundar.
- 2017 Honoree: alum Anthony Primiani
- 2018 Honorees: SLC International Construction Honor Society inaugural class
High School Recruitment Liason at William E. Grady High School and HSCTEA, fall 2014-2018
Represented NYCCT and CMCE at High School Career Days including attending student award ceremonies, speaking panels, open forum, and student site tours.
CRSP to LSAMP Student Research Mentor
I have acted as a student research mentor, including supervising research, helping to develop poster presentations, and judging student poster presentations. Mentored CRSP and LSAMP student Harold Saquicela. Responsibilities included kickoff meeting to assess student’s research interests and abilities, weekly update meetings, extensive edits to research materials, program, and abstract, overview and edits to posters for poster presentation, attendance at college wide events including poster presentations and awards ceremonies.
- Fall 2016 – Spring 2017
- December 1, 2016 Poster Presentation “Selection of Materials and Techniques for Construction Under Extreme Heat Conditions.” Student weekly time commitment: 10 hours/week.
- May 3, 2017 Poster Presentation “Selection of Materials and Techniques for Construction Under Extreme Heat Conditions.” Student weekly time commitment: 10 hours/week.
CUNY Research Scholars Student Research Mentor
CUNY Research Scholars. Directed research into construction material and technique selection under extreme heat conditions as student mentor. Mentored student, Harold Saquicela, all semester including research meetings, guidance, and editorial work.
- Presented at Poster presentation. Fall 2016. “Selection of Materials and Techniques for Construction Under Extreme Heat Conditions.”
- Participated in Awards Ceremony. December 1, 2016.
- Abstract can be found in My Documents Library and at the following link: http://www.citytech.cuny.edu/research/docs/crsp_abstracts_fall2016.pdf
- Write up in City Tech’s “The Buzz” can be found in My Documents Library and at the following link: https://openlab.citytech.cuny.edu/the-buzz/humans-of-city-tech-5/
Faculty Mentor for CMCE student mock interviews for workplace preparation and training
Faculty mentor for interviews conducted with CMCE students. Provided feedback for students on interviews and resumes.
CMCE Field Trip Chaperone
I serve as the Faculty Advisor for the following organizations:
Construction Management Association of America (CMAA) Student Chapter
- 2019 – CURRENT.
- Organization: CMAA is an industry association with 16,000+ members nationally.
- Reach: The student chapter interacts with other chapters in the U.S.
- Involvement: Faculty Advisor; Club newly launched 2019 Spring; scholarship recommendations
Associated Schools of Construction
- Spring 2016 –CURRENT
- Organization: The Associated Schools of Construction (ASC) supports construction faculty through training and networking, gives validity to member institutions (see SLC’s and UF requirements that we be a member institution), hosts a faculty job board, and oversees national student competitions and job fairs.
- Reach: Nation-wide schools with construction programs
- Involvement: I applied for and was accepted with standing with the Associated Schools of Construction (ASC). This is an internationally recognized association counting many construction schools (Georgia Tech, NJIT, NYU Poly, Pratt, Purdue, UF, Virginia Tech, etc.) among its members.
- Fall 2017 – Coached a traveling competition team of six students and took them to the ASC Region 1 Convention and Career Fair in Albany, NY. Students competed in the Pre-Construction Competition. Students participated in a real world simulating professional exercise by developing an approach to construction, budget, takeoffs, schedule, and other documents based on a real set of plans and specifications. The competition was judged by industry panelists. Students also attended a daylong career fair.
- Coached student team and prepared six weeks of training materials, which consisted of twice weekly meetings centered around topics to be part of the competition.
- Chaperoned the trip to Albany November 9-11, 2017.
- Attended November 2017 ASC Directors meeting in Albany
- Spring 2016 – Represent City Tech and attend the ASC Region 1 Mid-Year meeting in Brooklyn, NY
- Fall 2016 – Coached a traveling competition team of six students and took them to the ASC Region 1 Convention and Career Fair in Albany, NY. Students competed in the Pre-Construction Competition. Students participated in a real world simulating professional exercise by developing an approach to construction, budget, takeoffs, schedule, and other documents based on a real set of plans and specifications. The competition was judged by industry panelists from Shawmut Construction. Students also attended a daylong career fair.
- Coached student team and prepared six weeks of training materials, which consisted of twice weekly meetings centered around topics to be part of the competition.
- Chaperoned the trip to Albany October 27-29, 2016.
- Attended October 2016 ASC Directors meeting in Albany
Associated General Contractors (AGC) Student Chapter
City Tech Chapter of Associated General Contractors (AGC), a nationwide construction industry organization representing 26,000 firms and 170 Student Chapters. I am the Chapter Advisor (revived defunct chapter).
- I oversee student club activities including speakers, site visits, competition training, and annual events.
- I oversee distribution of SGA funding.
- Spring 2016 – ONGOING
Sigma Lambda Chi Coordinator & Nu II Chapter
Sigma Lambda Chi (SLC), the International Construction Honor Society, a member of the Association of College Honor Societies, Inc. SLC recognizes outstanding student achievement and leadership in construction programs. Hosting a Chapter of SLC is also a sign of distinction among Construction Management programs. Participants include over 80 construction programs, primarily in the US but also in Europe and Austalia.
- I am a member, Chapter Advisor, and I completed the application that brought SLC to City Tech.
- Spring 2016 – CURRENT.