VISUAL QUOTE PROJECT

Pick a quote from a song, a poem, a movie, or written work and develop over a 6 week period 3 concepts for visually enhancing this quote for a postcard of 8.5″ w X 5.50″ h. Two concepts must have typography or typography with line art. The third concept may contain a photographic image. Writing about your design process for each phase of the project is required. Deadlines for each phase will be provided each week in class and on Blackboard. The project will be done in phases: 

Phases

Phase 1: Sketches on paper–photos taken and uploaded to your Drop box folder. 

Phase 2: Concepts Uploaded as JPEGs to your OpenLab site & presented as JPEGS to Class for Critique. Written descriptions of your design thinking should accompany each concept. A preliminary grade will be given with feedback for improving project.  

Phase 3: Concepts Revised and Final JPEGs uploaded to OpenLab site and print-ready PDFs for uploaded to Your OpenLab site. PDFs should be exported from InDesign as Print-Ready at 300 ppi and follow the production which will be provided.  

Sketches

Description

I decided to choose a quote from Norman Vencent Peale, “Shoot for the Moon”. This quote not only is interesting, but inspirational to me as well. So for concepts, I thought of a space theme to follow along the quote of shooting to the moon. Using line art for the shooting star on the bottom left, Typographic-Object Text for the top left which replaces the O with an actual moon. Along side a image format concept with the bottom right, basically carving the quote onto the moon. Finally a bonus with the top right thats combined objects and image style, with the rocket ship having text warped into it and the same replacement of the “O”.

Drafts

Description

While designing this quote onto a digital form, I decided to edit the sketch. From the last sketches, I went with the 1st & 3rd sketches with the quote being a logo style and sentence style. While editing the 3rd sketch, I felt that the shooting star lacked within the meaning of the quote.Rather than “wishing” onto a shooting star for your dreams to happen, why not actually let them happen.Hence the rocket ship to the moon. I then connected the end of the rocket ship with a curved line art from the moon towards the bottom of the text. Seeing as the quote heavily focuses on the achieving a goal “moon”, I decided to bold that word on both the sketch and design. As well asa few touches on changing the whole visual quote to a dark color scheme to represent space. Lastly with the 1st sentence style, I gave the moon’s “O” a drop shadow to pop it out from the flat text. Overall, this is the first work on this visual quote, and I’m looking forward to working other variations on this quote.

Finals

Description

For the final concept, I decided to go a different route. From the feedback I received, I implemented a lot of those ideas onto the last concept. Mainly focusing on an image/picture design, unlike the other which were only image traced moons. This version, I went with the whole space theme with objects representing them. An example would be the background color of 3 Dark Blue gradients, with the lightest blue next to the earth as a sort of atmosphere.Then that would trail off into space, hence the darker colors fading into a very dark blue. After that, I then used the circular shape of the moon to place the text on which can be seen as a gravitational pull.

Finally, adding small details like stars along the space background. I export edit and placed it on my eportfolio & dropbox. Along with the other two designs with the line art rocket and typography moon as an “O” that I touched up with the feedback.