“United States flag in the wind”

20140313_145945

I took this photo at 3pm on Thursday, March 13th. The United States flag is at full mass on this windy day, I am at Cadman Plaza East and Johnson Street. I could not predict which way the wind would blow the flag in the time it would take me to capture the photo with my phone. After I took the photo , I felt the studium was good, I could see the pattern of the fifty stars, and the flag was not twisted at a thirty degree angle, this photo was very manageable considering the weather conditions. The white building to the right side is the N.Y. State Bankruptcy Court. The two residential buildings are deeper in the photo and are fronted by bare trees of the winter season. The flag itself centers the photo on a dark colored pole and has a golden circular ball at the very top of the pole. The punctum of this photo is trees, those near and far, and how close is the N.Y. State Bankruptcy building to the nearest trees. I see the ONE WAY driving regulation sign, that gives distance from the nearest trees, and the neighboring street light, flag pole and  N.Y. State Court building all are given some distance because of the sign. The pro-filmic event is the movement of the flag in the wind before the photo was taken, and at the time of the photo. The reality effect of the photo is realistic, the representation of reality in the flag blowing in the wind is real. The dominant impression is a blue sky day, and the wind violently pushing the flag around. The frame of the photo to the right cuts off the tree branches and the length of the court building. The frame to the left cuts off branches and the width of residential building to the left. The frame at the bottom cuts off the ground floor and activity in the streets, cars, people, and bikes, The frame at the top cuts off  the height of the trees and the higher levels of the N.Y. Court building, and finally, the blue sky.

One Response to “United States flag in the wind”

1. I approve of your photo. But we talked about changing it. Your choice.
    Best,
    Prof. Scanlan