STEM Page 4

S31

Remote Control (RC) car used to do simultaneous locilzation and mapping (SLAM), is becoming a popular in the mission of rescue. One commercial product which has the similar functions is usually expensive. Therefore, how to make an affordable prototype SLAM robot for research and learning is a challengeable topic, the Arduino single-board microcontroller and IoT board are employed to implement the control and collaborating task. For the hardware, the Arduino single-board microcontroller is employed to implement the control task. The sensor used to acquire the data of environment is 2D laser scanner RPLIDAR. RPLIDAR is a low-cost ‘Light Detection and Ranging sensor’ suitable for indoor robotic SLAM application.

S32

Hello, I’m Luc Telemaque. Imagine that you have a data network on a budget, limited to a few messengers and the distances in between them. You would like to share information by sending it through the shortest path among the system at high speed. Solving this problem involves a well-known problem in combinatorics, the degree/diameter problem, which is the problem of finding the largest graphs with given maximum degree and given diameter. Optimal such graphs are called Moore graphs. These graphs are very difficult to find in general. We will show how to construct these graphs in diameter 2.

S33

The internet of things (IoT) projects are devised and implemented in the Department of MET. These projects are characterized by the usage of the internet, wireless sensor networks and remote control systems. Robots are designed by computer-aided software, equipped with wireless sensor networks, and require control theories and algorithms, but they can also be used for many situations such as gas monitor calibration. We can take a smart robot car project into instance. During this project, an IoT-ready wireless sensor and actuator framework is developed that can read gas sensors to give accurately useful feedback. With the success of this project will realize the optimization of the calibration frequency and furtherly to reduce the cost.

S34

My name is Kadiatou Diallo, I am majoring in Computer Information Systems. My research topic is about Face Detection with Deep Learning. Face Detection has become a very useful with the new normal of the world which is caused by the outbreak of the Covid-19 worldwide. To detection the temperature of a certain individual we have build the technology that identifies and detects faces from a distance and tell the body temperature of that individual and all of this thanks to the technology that we call Face detection in a still image or a video. And it has become very important in pass 2 years as we find ways to improve it and make it even more then it is now. This is the easiest and most efficient way to use the technology to make the world a better place and even save live of people who might be affected and not know about. Face Detection is the next big thing the evolution of make technology and make it for the better.

S35

My name is Joan Beatrice Ladaban from the Computer System Department currently sophomore and I would like to present to you my research about Perpetual Time Machine. It is a research project that combines both the Software and the Hardware aspects into one working system. The purpose of this research is to use physical computing and to control an autonomous robotic time machine. Additionally, my research illustrates how time passes by really quick. It visually shows a time lapse from millisecond to a minute. It can be built with certain lego parts. Lastly, it uses Arduino Uno and coded using C++.

S36

This project aims to utilize Machine Learning technology to enable real time translation of American Sign Language into written English text. Translating American Sign Language into written or spoken English may help some people communicate, especially if it can be done in real time. We plan on completing this by using Deep Learning technology running on the cloud. This is made possible through Amazon Web Services (AWS), which will supply the platform and computing resources needed to train and run the Machine Learning model through a service called SageMaker.

S37

My research explores ways to recover energy from urban wastewater.  We invest resources to supply water to cities for use in apartments and businesses. After using the water, wastewater-processing plants also require energy to clean the water. This research identifies ways to exploit energy hidden in wastewater.  For example, sludge is a solid byproduct of wastewater treatment.  Cities can use bio-digesters to produce energy from sludge.  Another source of hidden energy comes from reusing heat from warm wastewater. Waste-to-Energy solutions are valuable and must not be overlooked as alternative energy sources are developed.

S38

Hello! I am Gui Jing Jiang. I am an upper sophomore i n the Department of Communication Design. The title of my research project i s Visual Communication Design for Assistive Technology. Visual Communication Design means using digital multimedia tools for communicating with other people. In my research project I explain how multimedia visual communication i s used to provide i nstructions for building and using LipSync assistive technology device. LipSync device i s used by a person with physical disability to control the mouse cursor on a mobile computer or smartphone.

S39

The Disney-Pixar movie, “Wall-E” is about the last robot on earth trying its best to clean up a heavily polluted earth. The movie is set in the distant future where humans are living on a spaceship hundreds of light years away. Every year there are new advances on robotic technology that continuously bring science fiction ideas into reality. The research that I am conducting is to create an exploration robot design that is easy to assemble and easy to manufacture with a cost-effective budget. With these types of robots, they will be able to be modified quickly for any situation.

S40

There are over 200 former Manufactured Gas Plant sites in New York State, we focused on a brownfield next to the Gowanus Canal. Gowanus Canal, is heavily contaminated with coal tar, a toxic chemical by-product of gas manufacturing, which happened at the site for 100 years until the gas plant closed down in the 1960s and the land was seized by the city. Recently, the city has planned to develop Public Place into “Gowanus Green” and is planning to place a school and low-income housing units on this site. This research was to identify the chemicals and their risk factors to the public health, which were found underneath the Gowanus Green. Health issues can result from chemical exposure to naphthalene, benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene pollutants on former Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) sites when developed. For each chemical, we were able to determine the potential public health risks by searching for its toxicology report, these health impacts show severity of this site and necessity of remediation before residential and institutional use.