Most people go to college because they are trying to build a better future for themselves. What job do you hope to get after college? Imagine you have completed your college degree, and your education and experience have allowed you to obtain the job that you want.
With this job in mind, consider the following list of activities. Which of them are you most likely to be asked to do as part of your new job? Put them in order from most likely to least likely. If you are uncertain, make your best guess based on your current knowledge and experience.
List of activities:
- Solve a problem using algebra, including: analyzing the problem, drawing a diagram, writing an equation, and solving the equation.
- Learn to use a computer system that is unfamiliar to you, and then complete a task on that system.
- Brainstorm a variety of responses to a problem and decide among several solutions, each of which has plusses and minuses.
- Use arithmetic (adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing).
- Simplify a radical.
- Complete an assignment with a team of several people, including: finding a time and place to meet, dividing responsibilities, making sure everyone is completing their part, delivering the final product on time.
Assignment (due midnight, Wednesday, June 20):
Respond to the above activity by leaving a comment in response to this post. Your comment should include all of the following:
- What is your major? What job are you hoping to get after graduation?
- From the list of activities above, give your ranking in order from “most likely to be required on your new job” to “least likely” (you can just list the numbers in order, you do not have to type the description, like this: “My ranking is: 5, 2, 3, 4, 1, 6”).
- Discuss the first item or two on your list. Do you think that this class will help prepare you to complete that task? If so, how? If not, what could be done in this class to help prepare you for that task?
- Discuss the last item or two on your list. Do you think it is important to learn (even if you are not likely to use it at your job)? Why or why not?
Extra Credit. Comment on someone else’s post. Do you agree or disagree? Why?