Blog post 4

McLuhan inspired “art”

cave__scodrington.docx

Part 2 

The 3 technologies I chose are the telephone, the digital camera, and the omny card.  

The telephone changed the concept of space between people. Its intended use was for business, but it was used mostly for socializing, by women. I’m also considering the cellphone because it connects you directly with its owner, closing the space between people even more.  

The digital camera changed photography. It allows you to see an instant image, but most users don’t print the photos. I think about how some things can be lost, like family history, without a catalog of these images.

The omny card, I’m still on the fence about. The card allows you to ride public transportation but unlike a token, the omny card tracks your whereabouts and other data. 

2 Responses to Blog post 4

1. Hello Sybil,

I enjoyed your art and the meaning behind it. Television ads in McLuhan’s eyes is that its not about the detail, but about the effect and being straight to the point. Just as television promotes culture it is also a business.

2. Hello Sybil,

Your image was very cleaver and had me yelling out “Nationwide is on your side”!! I loved how you portrayed the quote and related it to something we can all relate to. Great job!!