Daniel Jung’s Meat Blog

After reading the article “The Way of All Flesh”, written by Ted Conover, I found it extremely disturbing how the meat processing industry processes and inspects their beef. I believe that the way that the meat processing industry slaughters their cattle is very inhumane. According to the article, it is stated that there is a guy called a knocker that shoots the cattle in the forehead with a gun to kill it. I was surprised to hear this because I was not aware that animals were being slaughtered with weapons in such extreme ways. And as someone who tends to eat beef very often, I am extremely disappointed in the procedures of the meat processing. Furthermore, the meat processing industry should have the proper tools supplied for the inspectors to use when they are inspecting the beef. The inspectors should not be the ones to buy their tools themselves, as that is unprofessional. Overall, I believe that in the future, meat processing industries should not process their beef in these improper ways. Also, they should be completely thorough and supply the inspectors with the proper tools needed for meat inspections. Even after reading this article, I believe that I will continue to eat beef because I have been eating beef for my entire life and enjoy it.  

1 thought on “Daniel Jung’s Meat Blog

1. Michael Krondl

I’m curious. What do you think a more humane way of killing cattle would be? I agree that, if you’re going to eat the flesh of dead animals (I do) that most people would want the animal killed as humanely as possible. I also think it super-weird that the workers are buying their own tools. Aside from the cost, it seems the results would be inconsistent.