Homework #3: Robert Capa’s Death of a Loyalist Soldier

Robert Capa’s Death of a Loyalist Soldier has been argued to be “fakery”, even though he deserves the credibility for documenting the Spanish Civil War. I personally believe Robert Capa’s photograph is question for its authenticity not because of the position the solider died in but do to the fact that he was not well know before a stunning photograph. I personally don’t believe this photo was staged the evidence from the eye witness sounds like a game of telephone, pass around information enough and someone is sure to get it wrong. “Capt. Franks told me in conversation that the fact that the fingers are somewhat curled toward the palm clearly indicates that the man’s muscles have gone limp and that he is already dead.” Reading through this line assured me that this photograph could not be staged, someone who is aware would not be able to produce such a action. Personally I don’t think authenticity matters as long as the photograph constructs a strong meaning to it.

This entry was posted in Student Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Homework #3: Robert Capa’s Death of a Loyalist Soldier

1. Billy says:

Hi JBIDO,

I definitely agree that the photo doesn’t seem staged, and the quote is a great indication of the authenticity of the photograph.