OpenLab #8: Take a break, read a book

You have no OpenLab assignment this weekend. Ā If you wish, you can earn a little extra credit by responding to the following.

Extra Credit (due Thursday, April 11, 2:30pm) Ā Hey, what are you reading?Ā  Tell me one book you like, andĀ very briefly whyĀ you like it. Ā It can be something you read recently, or an all-time favorite. Ā It can be serious or fun, something you read to pass the time, or in school, or to improve yourself, or for some other reason. Ā Any kind of book is fine — literature, science fiction, romance, nonfiction, graphic novels, whatever. Ā Be sure to include the author and title, and a link if possible.

I just finished readingĀ Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Ā It was fun and fast-paced, just the thing for passing the time on the subway. Ā I liked the gaming theme, Ā the dystopian future sci-fi setting, and the unending references to 1980’s culture (that’s when I was in high school). Ā Fun!

33 thoughts on “OpenLab #8: Take a break, read a book

1. I just finished reading yet another book by Nicholas sparks called safe haven. In fact, the movie came out on valentines day. It’s a romance novel but I couldn’t put it down. I have read several other books by sparks and he is a great writer. He also wrote the notebook which is his more popular piece. Also, a book that I would like to read at some point is one called the pact by three doctors, Sampson Davis, George Jenkins, and Rameck Hunt.

2. Hi,

One of my favorite books is, “The Loss of El Dorado” by V.S. Naipaul. It’s a medium pace read, based in the 1500’s. The settings are England, the Caribbean island of Trinidad, Guyana, and other places in South America.
    The story shows the earliest days of Colonization of the West Indies, the European conquerors unquenchable thirst for gold, and in finding this fabled golden city in South America, which the native Indians called El Dorado.

3. One of my favorite books or graphic novels are from the author Nobuhiro Watsuki, for the series called Rurouni Kenshin (Wandering Samurai), “Fictional” a tale of a samurai who struggles to seek peace from the last ending days of the Tokugawa period to the early days of the Meiji period in Japan. It is a tale which the author had used a historical figure “Kawakami Gensai”, to model the Fictional character called “Kenshin Himura”. The author uses a several political moments and events to create an epic tale of a child who had grown up to be a samurai and was once an assassin, then became a patriot/hero who is literally scared with an “X” on the cheek of his face for past misdeeds when he was younger (of his former self). The story has lots of suspense and content moments and teaches how one should live by the “sword” while also teaches how one should live their life as not with anger or hate but with an open mind, patience, and abstinence.
    I also liked the fact the main character Kenshin Himura always tries to stand up for nonviolence with a “Reversed Blade” sword (katana) which was designed not to harm anyone since the curved part is “dull”. Also he sometimes behaved extremely offensive which grew more stronger than his defensive when tempered, while only a few of the supporting main characters had to keep him from becoming his former self of an “assassin”.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=73
    http://www.justmanga.com/browse.cfm?anime=Rurouni%20Kenshin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rurouni_Kenshin_characters
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawakami_Gensai

4. My favorite book is “PS I love you” by Cecelia Ahern published in 2004. I have read this novel 2 years ago. In 2007 the movie came out also. This novel is about a young beautiful lady who married to the love of her life . Due to illness her husband passed away. Before he died he wrote her 10 letters that will guide her to her new life without him.

5. My favorite book is Flowers in the Attic by VC Andrews. Its about four children whose mother moved back in with her parents and she and her mother locked the four children in the attic for years because she didnt want her father to know they existed.

6. I’m reading Graceling by Kristin Cashore. It’s a fictional novel about a girl who is “graced” (mind reading, archery, brain washing, combat skills etc.) with a special skill. At first we are lead to believe that her extreme skill is killing because she kills a man with her bare hands because he threatened her safety but later on we find out what her true grace is. I like books that transports me to another world where there’s adventure, romance, mystery etc all wrapped into one book. My favorite books were the Harry Potter series so i guess i’m still kid at heart lol

• Thanks, America. I think you might like Delirium, by Lauren Oliver (which I just finished) — about a girl in a terrible future in which love is treated as a disease. Sort of Hunger Games with a Twilight love triangle. Recommended!

7. One of my favorite books is “The Red Tent” by Anita Diamant. It tell the story of Dinah, the only daughter of Jacob from the first testament. One of my friends had told me about the book and said it was amazing. Dinah is mentioned in the bible in one short passage and basically never again. This book tells her story and I found it very moving. I have reread it a couple of times and each time I can’t seem to put it down.

8. I just finished reading “The Corrections” by Jonathan Franzen. Great book, excellent writing; a little too descriptive of strife in Lithuania for one of the family members in the story but overall an entertaining well visualized a story of the life of an american family whose dad has a form of dementia and how the mother tries to bring them together for the holidays for seemingly one last time. I would recommend this to anyone.

9. I just started to read the “viticulture journal”, I am really into horticulture and I recently bought a grape vine to grow for the next few years and wanted to all I can about growing grapes.

10. I have always favored children’s literature – one of my all-time favorites is Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. While I’m sure many are familiar with Disney’s rendition of the story, the book itself is a bit darker and geared less directly towards children – additionally, the Disney movie fails to include significant parts of the story and instead adds filler, which only increases my favoritism of the book. As nice as it is to have the visual aid of animation to support the story, I really favor the original book – plus, my copy is a beautifully illustrated hardcover edition, making it just as nice to look at as it is to read.

• I feel the same way – I was always attracted to the darker kid’s literature as a child (and now, too!). Plus, Lewis Carroll was a mathematician šŸ™‚
      -Mr. Reitz

ps. Roald Dahl is similar – Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is maybe his most famous book, and the movie(s) (though not as sugar-coated as Alice) definitely avoid some of the creepiness. Lots of other great books, too.

11. I haven’t read anything from cover to cover recently I spend my time reading internet tidbits. Books… that’s a serious commitment. I have to go with my all-time favorite Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling, the entire series is legit. I’m not afraid to admit that I read it and liked it, but never saw the movies. I never understood the reason it was so incredible, maybe it was the great measure of imagination or Good vs. Evil theme, underdog story, or Hermione.

• One of my all-time favorite series, too – she does such a good job of following her characters all the way through their growing-up process, and keeping them realistic at every stage. I love the way they go through changes but remain fundamentally the same people.

12. My book is Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini ;
    is one of the best books I have read in years. This is a life story that can make anyone about complex characters and situations that will make you think hard about friendship, good and evil, betrayal, and redemption.

13. I recently just started reading “life of pi” by Yann Martel. they also came out with a movie about it late last year, but i have not seen it. The book is very interesting to me i cant seem to put it down i always get excited to read what will happen next. It is full of adventures i am really enjoying it so far.

14. I just finished reading Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. It was a good read, something I never though Iā€™d enjoy but glad I took the time to check it out. It kept me engaged and at the edge of my seat with every page turned. It was very slow paced but nonetheless very suspenseful and intriguing.

15. I read a book called 12 angry men they also have a play/script to it. I liked this book because it was a mystery to me. Scene by Scene i just wanted to read to find out what happen next . The book had a well developed plot all of the characters have personalities you can pick up by reading through the book. I also had a connection because the book is about a Latino guy killed his father and thats a well developed story any normal person would want to know why? . I recommend this book to anyone who is into Criminal Justice and Law or just mystery in general.

16. I read “The Beach House” by James Patterson. My favorite author. All his books has to do with a legal issue. This book is about a murder of a young boy named Jack who worked as a servant for a billionaire family in East Hampton, New York. His death is ruled as suicide by the police and no investigation is carried out.The billionaires have bought the police, the judge and the system. Jack’s brother Peter who is a law student wants justice for his brother. his private investigation shows sex scandal cover up and blackmail. With the help of his friends they decide to take the law into their own hands and kidnap Jack’s boss and their cohorts and try them in kangaroo court which they broadcast on tv.
    The book is very good once you start reading it you cannot put it down the suspense keeps you reading till the end as with all the other books of James Patterson I have read.

• Love James Patterson, you should also read some novels like “The Surgeon” by Tess Gerritsen she writes about legal and medical issues her books have also turned into shows like Rissoli and Isles on TNT. Real good stuff!

17. I just finished reading Suzannes Diary To Nicholas, by Nicholas Sparks. The story begins as a woman writing a diary about her love life that she ends up turning into a diary to her unborn son. There are a lot of cuts in the book that make it a hard read but once the father comes in for his side of the story it all begins to makes sense.It was a pretty uplifting book until the end. I would definitely recommend this to someone who needs to feel greatful about life, it was actually recommended to me from my sister for that exact reason (haha). Nicholas Sparks has an amazing way with words and is one of my favorite authors so he did not disappoint once again

18. Usually, I read magazines because I find them pretty interesting. I love fashion, so I like to take a look at the new trends that are out there. Although I love reading magazines, i had to read something different the semester before last, my professor made us read Hamlet by William Shakespeare. It was difficult to make connections with the book while trying to decode his messages, so I decided to read No Fear Shakespeare: Hamlet by John Crowther. After reading that book, I must say, Hamlet is quite interesting. I never thought I’d enjoy it that much! I’ll post the link below, just in case anyone is interested in trying to read Hamlet.

http://nfs.sparknotes.com/hamlet/

19. My a couple of years ago favorite book was “Twilight” by Stephenie Meyer it was preety good, movies that came out ruined it for me though. Recent books that I read was by Gillian Flynn “Gone Girl”, books of “fifty shades of grey” by E.L. James and now I’m currently reading ” A Family Affair” by Mary Campisi

20. First and foremost, although this may not apply, the most recent book that I read was “The Very Hungry Caterpillar.” Some of you may think this doesn’t apply to the topic, which it doesn’t but I work at a daycare with two year olds and to make this entry vaild, this was the most recent book that I have read! Im sure there is still a five year old in all of you and would still love reading this book too! šŸ™‚

21. I’ve just recently read “Into the Darkest Corner” by Elizabeth Haynes, which probably falls into the drama/thriller genre. Though the book gave me chills while reading, I enjoyed it. It’s about a psycho boyfriend that nearly kills the main character/girlfriend Catherine Bailey, and ends up in jail. While he was locked up, Catherine spent years in fear because she knew the day he was released, he’d come after her. My brief description does not come close to expressing the horror of the story! It was a very good read.

22. The book I am recently reading is Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin and it is a fantasy book that has adult themes that a lot of fantasy books lack in my opinion. The reason I got into the book is because I was a devoted television couch potatoe of the HBO hit series and watched all of season 1 and 2 in a manner of 2 weeks faithfully! I mean it got so serious I would rush home from work or school to watch it on demand! (And I am a socialite so no partying or social scene for me at that time) What I like about the book so far is that it does coincide with the series however there are some differences in the two based on description of certain characters. I will not lie I didnt want to read it because I didnt want to know what would happen for the other Seasons but the book basically covers season 1 which is okay with me since I’ve already seen it. It just added more clarity to parts that I didnt understand and gave me extra information on what I needed to know to grasp the concepts thereafter season 1.

• I came to Game of Thrones in exactly the opposite order – read the books first, loved them, and was very skeptical about turning them into a tv show. But I should have know that HBO would do an amazing job – I love the show, too! Yes, there are some differences between the show and the books, but nothing too terrible – I think they both really well. Boy, do you have some craziness to look forward too… enjoy.