Comments On Judge Leddy

why career criminals have the upper hand ?

What do you think about this?

5 Responses to Comments On Judge Leddy

1. rworrell says:

Our prison system serves 2 purposes: punishment and rehabilitation. Reasons to disagree on the idea of funding a higher education program for career criminals are many. However, rehabilitation involves change in thinking and behavior involving acquisition of knowledge. As a human service major I know that this is achieved by instilling hope and empowering others. Some of us can recall the pride felt when we graduated with my associate degree; I would hope it will do the same for those incarcerated. A degree should be viewed as an opportunity a ” gateway” into a change of lifestyle. I am not saying that every career criminal will conform to societal norms but those who would should not be denied.If the program gets the supports it needs funding will be achieved. Therefore I conclude that the opportunity should be given to the career criminal to have the option of another career.

2. I totally agree with you that most of the individuals who are incarcerated should have the chance to have the opportunity of getting an education, so possibly when these individuals ever come out of jail, they can possibly find a job and start a new life. As a human service student, I have empathy and I would love to empower others and instill hope in them because there is something out there after jail, which may switch the lives of the incarcerated. However, to see if the incarcerated are eligible for an education, they should have a sentence of ten years or less. In this way within those ten years of prison they can learn to become something and possibly find a job after jail.

3. I agree with you in part that some individuals who are incarcerated should have access to higher education, but only those who have been sentenced for a short period of time. The article talked about individuals who learn how to manipulate the system and use it to their advantage only to do more crime and not be caught. So why should those individuals get costly higher education as a reward for doing things that were against the law. As a Human Services student I believe that incarcerated individuals should be allowed the chance to get on the right track and improve themselves, and like with everything else they will only change when they want to and should have the necessary resources in place, and there are those don’t want to change and are stuck in an ongoing cycle that will only keep repeating.

4. Natalie Joefield says:

Reading the article and everyone comments makes me agree even more. The two purposes of our prison system is correct. As a human service student I feel the pain of some people in jail that has to leave their families, friends etc. However, everyone must pay the price. Just as for those in jail that has not committed a crime, but was an accomplice should still pay the price. In that case still should have the opportunity to think out what they have done and teach themselves how to do better. As far as the education in jail will help some individuals get back on their feet a little faster when they come out because they was able to start bettering themselves in jail. Our society is full of many different people. People we see every day can be a person that committed a crime less that five minutes, however we would never know.

5. As a human service worker i would like to look into why is it common and acceptable to lock up thousands of individuals, when such a high percentage of inmates returns to society to commit another crime. I am not saying a individual who commits a crime should go unpunished, but the current system of caging a human being for 20 years or so for rehabilitation in an overcrowded facility, where fights and unmentionable acts occur does not appear reasonable. Then to place the individual into a college class setting, when a few hours later they may have to fight for their lives seems counterproductive. When most people think about the prison system it is with fear and nobody wants to willingly go there. Rehabilitation should be based on why did the incident happen in the first place, what was the trigger, educating them on the means of prevention, while attending groups, and maintaining a positive social setting. If a law abiding citizen must pay for a college degree, everybody should.