ARCH 3522 Issued: March 25, 2019, Due: April 8, 2019.
Assignment #5 Required Reading and Watching 300-400 words
Dolkart, Andrew. “The Birth of the Skyscraper” The Architecture and Development of New York City, Columbia University Digital Knowledge Ventures nd http://nycarchitecture.columbia.edu/0242_2/index_text.html accessed 1/26/13
Choose one of the buildings discussed in the reading, i.e. Corbin, Flatiron, West Street, Sullivan Building, Woolworth Building, etc. Quantify and discuss which of the factors below impacted the creation or construction of that building.
Factors that lead to the creation of Skyscrapers
- Huge social change in the office world in the 20th
- Need for office workers (both men AND women) expanded greatly in business.
- The need for rental offices as money generators spurred investors to build bigger.
- The invention and practical application of the elevator.
- Growth of American companies, centered in NYC.
- Architectural Competitions of the day.
- The steel frame over the masonry bearing wall.
- Competition to be the tallest in height.
Cite at least one other source in addition to the article. Provide end notes or footnotes. See Cornell Style guide for examples.