Front, Side, and 3/4 views of the Head. Create a measurement guide to assist you in constructing a Self Portrait based on Photo Reference. Bring your guide and printed Photo Reference to class next week!
FIRST: Shoot your reference! Shoot MORE reference than you need. Begin by photographing Front, Side, and 3/4 views of the Head. But also shoot a few more interesting views and expressions, for a total of 6 reference images. Bring ALL of these to class next week!
HINT: Print LARGE IMAGES using the FULL PAGE. Use dramatic lighting and distinct shadow shapes to create visual interest and to make the image easier to draw.
NEXT: DRAW a measurement guide to assist you in constructing a Self Portrait based on Photo Reference while working in class. Focus on learning the Proportions of the head.
- Be sure you have access to the drawing guides you received in class before you begin.
- Take clear photos level to your face for the guide.
- Be sure to use dramatic lighting and distinct shadow shapes for the 3 additional images.
- You should work at the same scale as your printed photo reference.
- You MUST NOT TRACE the reference!!!