Journal #8 – My First Food Drive Adventure

11/8/23

Today, like any other day, I walked into the NYPIRG office ready for our routine briefing, only to be reminded that a special event awaited us – the much-anticipated food drive. Little did I know that this day would unfold into a unique adventure filled with challenges, unexpected turns, and ultimately, a rewarding experience.

The clock struck 5:50 pm, and we huddled in the office, immersed in a flurry of texts, emails, and calls to students, urging them to join our food drive event scheduled for 5:15 pm at the front entrance of our campus. Armed with my laptop, I efficiently used a mass messaging tool to reach out to our contact list, maximizing our chances of attracting participants.

As my fellow intern and Project Coordinator focused on their lists, I turned my attention to redesigning posters and crafting Instagram posts for upcoming events and causes. The limitation of using only two colors for posters due to expensive printer ink prompted a creative challenge, but for Instagram, the possibilities were endless.

By 5 pm, we descended to the front entrance, eager to see who would answer our call. The initial moments were disheartening – only the three of us stood there, attempting to convince departing students to join. Laughter and dismissive attitudes met our efforts, with one student outright refusing, questioning why they would participate with such an attitude.

Hope arrived in the form of a lady who had received our message and expressed her willingness to help. However, as our PC explained the off-campus nature of the food drive, she realized it clashed with her class at 6 pm, leading to a bittersweet farewell.

Just as we were about to set out, our rarely-in-office but actively-engaged third intern arrived, completing our team of four. Determined, we commenced our journey. Initially opting for the bus, we faced delays and detours, forcing us to abandon the plan and choose the subway instead.

The challenges persisted as our intended train got rerouted, leaving us stuck in the station without any explanations. Eventually moving forward, we reached our destination at 5:58 pm, just two minutes before the agreed-upon meeting time with other NYPIRG chapters.

Joined by Pratt Institute and BMCC chapters, we embraced the mission. After a brief group photo and the distribution of paper bags, we were assigned a turf and set out into the Brooklyn neighborhood near Pratt.

Door to door, we explained our cause, highlighting the food drive’s purpose to combat food insecurity among CUNY and SUNY students. Some responded with enthusiasm, while others hesitated. Even doors adorned with “no solicitation” signs opened for a good cause.

By 9:30 pm, our bags were distributed, and our hearts were full. The next day, armed with addresses and notes, we planned to collect the remaining bags. This first-ever food drive was a testament to perseverance, teamwork, and the impact one can make with determination. As we concluded the night, I reflected on the uniqueness of the experience and the unexpected improvement in my public speaking skills, making it a memory to cherish in my NYPIRG journey.

(Photo by Calle Macarone on Unsplash