Journal #4 – What I have learned

10/18/23

Within my weeks of internship at NYPIRG, my experiences have been diverse, even though my primary focus is graphic design. While I have only had one design project so far, my role has extended beyond the boundaries of my concentration. This experience has been a valuable learning opportunity, helping me gain insights into both my area of concentration and the broader industry and economic landscape.

I started my internship with high expectations for design related work. However, I have only been assigned one design project to date. While the quantity of design work has been limited, this project has allowed me to apply and sharpen my design skills, particularly in the context of non-profit advocacy and community engagement. The design project has provided me with real-world experience, allowing me to see how my academic knowledge translates into practical solutions.

In addition to graphic design, my responsibilities have encompassed various other tasks. I have been actively involved in clipboarding at the entrance of my college campus lobby, where my goal is to encourage people to register to vote. This on-the-ground engagement has provided me with a different perspective on community outreach and voter empowerment. Additionally, I have taken on the role of class representative, furthering my involvement in the same issue. I have also been engaged in phonebanking to promote NYPIRG events that cover a wide range of topics affecting New Yorkers, such as climate change, public health, small claims court, democracy impacts, higher education, and transit system improvements.

While my initial expectations were primarily focused on design, my involvement in these various activities has given me a more comprehensive understanding of NYPIRG’s mission and its role within the non-profit advocacy sector. I have learned how important community engagement and grassroots efforts are in driving social and political change. This experience has broadened my perspective on the non-profit industry and its economic aspects, as well as the role of advocacy in shaping policies and initiatives that impact New Yorkers.