Networking 2

AIPAD Photography Show, April 1st, 2017

AIPAD Photography Show at the Pier 94, New York. April 1st, 2017

Yesterday, I went to the AIPAD photography show. The exhibition was on the Pier94 in Manhattan. AIPAD stands for The Association of International Photography Art Dealers, and the website is www.aipad.com. The show has about 150 galleries and a vast collection of photographs. I recognize some historic photos learned from my History of Photography class a few semesters ago. I saw an original copy of “Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico, which is a black and white photograph taken by Ansel Adams, late in the afternoon on November 1, 1941″ (Wikipedia). The price tag was $28,000 for that black and white silver gelatin print, which is no larger than 12×18 inches. The work was incredible; I respect his skill to take such a photo with 1940s technology.

the AIPAD Show brochure, the show catalog (the black booklet with spot laminated title), the admission ticket.

There were many photographers in the exhibition with their cameras snapping around. I left my heavy DSLR at home but took my “show going camera,” which is small and significant enough to take recorded photos. I met a few photographers and talked with them about the photos in which we share the same interest.

At one point, I met a gentleman named Mr. Tetro, an architectural photographer. He was with a small Fuji XE1 camera, who looked like a real photography lover to me. I have a kind of love for small cameras and good knowledge of them. When I asked him how he liked his Fuji XE1, he said, “this little guy did more than half of what the big guy did! (he mean the Canon 5D mark 3, his main camera). One reason to love the small cameras is that they are handy and easy to carry and keep a low profile. He explained that when people see big DSLRs and professional cameras, they shy away from the camera. So most of the time, photographers miss the lovely shots.

Besides, we both read photography reviews from dpreview.com. He gave me some advice about investing in lenses and photo gear. I looked up his website from his business card when I arrived home. 

Jim Tetro’s architecture photography (from the back of his business card)

For more information, visit JimTetro.com

From my work experience, I notice that photography plays an important role in graphic design and visual communication. I believe photography is a part of my career too. This is why I feel so glad to set up a network with a professional photographer/instructor like Mr. Tetro.

Edited: 10/2021