OOH Memo

The purpose of this memo is to discuss the benefits and challenges of Graphic Designer position based on the Occupational Outlook Handbook by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The graphic design is a very interesting type of job, especially for the person who love art and design. “Graphic designer create visual concepts, using computer software or by hand, to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, and captivate consumers. They develop the overall layout and production design for various applications such as advertisements, brochures, magazines, and corporate reports.” (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2015, What Graphic Designers Do)

There are a bunch of nice things to be a graphic designer. They can work from home, or they can run their own business as a self-employed. Now a day the high-speed internet connection also favors the designers to upload or download larger files, which favor to becomes self-employed. According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, “In 2014, about 1 in 5 graphic designers were self-employed.” (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2015, Work Environment) I love to work independently on my own, so to be a self-employed graphic designer is one of an important factor for me. Even as an employee, some company allows to work remotely.

The job outlook for the Graphic designer position is only 1% for 2014-2024, which is not a good sign. (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2015, Quick Facts). But, there is still some hopes for me since I do illustration and photography too. In most cases, graphic designers have to rely on photography and illustration. As an illustrator/photographer myself, it is very helpful to have a multiple skill set to help my career as a graphic designer. All round ability to do photography or illustration to support graphic design skill cuts lots of time and also increase productivity. I believe there are many opportunities for multitasking graphic designers.

In the old days, many graphic designer jobs need a good portfolio, but this is no longer possible. A Graphic designer needs as bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field. (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2015, How to become a Graphic Designer) For me, I already have an Associate in Graphic Design, and persuading my Bachelors in Communication Design. I only need to finish my senior project next fall. I already working in an advertising agency as a graphic designer and looking for a more secure position after achieving my degree.

The earning of a graphic designer is not very high. Based on 2015 statistics, the median annual wage for graphic designers was only $46,900. (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2015, Pay). This fact may not be a pleasing fact for everyone. But no one can buy everything with money in living. So as far as we love the job, it is a great choice to work with.

References

Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition, Graphic Designers, Retrieved from

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/arts-and-design/graphic-designers.htm