Colgate Smiles is an annual event at the Greater New York Dental Meeting to offer a unique clinical experience to urban dental and hygiene students while bringing an awareness of dental access issues in NYC to oral healthcare volunteers, teachers and chaperoning parents who travel with the children to the Javits Convention Center.

During the Greater New York Dental Meeting in 2019, I participated in Colgate Smiles to present educational information about nutrition and e-cigarette to 3rd and 4th grade students. Eating patterns and food choices among children are important factors that contributes to tooth decay. Our goal is to encourage these students to eat healthier and understand the benefit of health diets to our teeth.

From this event, I have increased my skill in interpersonal development,  teamwork, and communication. Thus, I feel very honored to be a part of this event. The success of this Colgate program is the result of the efforts contributed by all students and faculties.

Presentations Schedule 1.Show and discuss printed images that we will have organized onto a poster (dental nutrition education) 2. Teach catchy chant for students to remember key points from the above lesson 3. Have students organize fake food next to either a “happy tooth” or “unhappy tooth”, indicating that the food item is either good or bad for teeth 4. Q & A/ hand out a “take home” Colgate Tooth Defender activity
Demonstration of effective brushing technique