Effective Assignment Design

Developing effective reading and writing assignments helps students retain and critically think about course content. This workshop will cover a number of assignment design strategies that emphasize active learning through student writing. Faculty are encouraged to bring an assignment prompt they would like to revise.

link to presentation (approximately 21 minutes)

Requirements for Completing this Workshop Online:

• Watch the presentation above.
  • Discussion (respond in a comment of 150 words or more below): What kinds of formal writing do you assign your students? What is one informal writing assignment you might incorporate into your schedule that would help students learn course content?
  • Portfolio Assignment (recommended): Revise one of your formal assignment sheets to incorporate scaffolding.

2 Responses to Effective Assignment Design

1. My course is Intercultural Communication. It is taught as a hybrid. There is one formal writing assignment, which is a semester long research project.
    I have weekly informal assignments on blackboard, such as response posts and low-stake reading/writing assignments. Based on what I learned in this presentation, I will have students compose a question about the blackboard reading/writing assignment to be discussed in class. I’ll also try using cue cards at the end of class a couple of classes (perhaps before the midterm), to see what they learned and what needs more clarification.

2. My course if Global Sourcing and International Trade policy. I have an extensive plagerism section on my syllabus including consequences should plagerism arise and how it could impact course grades

I scaffold written assignments giving students a chance to ask questions or inquire about first drafts prior final submission of each of the two written papers that are required in this course. I also review the Writing PP on how to write a strong paragraph, including APA intext citations and references, and paraphrasing. I try to emphasize original thought and the importance of critical thinking skills.