Journal Entry #6 – Print might have lost its popularity but it is not dead yet.

There is a big rumor going around that print no longer has a place in the creative sphere. Wrong! While digital platforms are dominating in the age of cutting-edge technology print is not dead yet. I have first-hand knowledge of this fact. In my time volunteering in a community-based organization, I realized that there are people who are scared to death of the prospect of doing anything digitally. They are afraid of computers and technology. Of course, some of them are owners of the latest iPhone which is a show to raise their brand name status but that is where it ends because the only thing that phone is used for is to make and receive calls.

The word cyberphobia is defined as being fearful of computers while technophobia is defined as the fear of advanced technology. According to Wikia.org, 30% of the population has a fear of advanced technology. There will always be some demographic that is not willing to use technology. In my personal experience working with middle-aged and seniors print is boss. If you tell them you are going to send them a form online for them to fill out or information about an upcoming event they would freak out. They would ask for a flyer or the information to be written on a piece of paper. 

Ok, so we know that designers have a target audience that they usually focused on. However, keep in mind that mothers and grandmothers may be interested in the same products as gifts for their children and grandchildren. So while designers may use platforms to reach their desired target audience they should be cognizant of the fact that there is an audience from whom they might benefit by using some print even if minimal. Then there are products that are geared for the 30% that are either cyberphobic or technophobic, how do you reach them?

In my opinion, before we quickly shut down print think about the 30%  that are depending on it. I get that magazines and newspapers are a thing of the past, however, billboards are still relevant and so are flyers, In the age of COVID-19 we need to get information to the elderly. We need to reach them in a place where they are most comfortable. It could mean the difference between life and death.

I love technology, the speed and ease of use, having information at my fingertips is great.  There is a vast treasure trove of learning tools to stimulate the brain and expand the vocabulary. Every topic of discussion lives on the world wide web. However, the cyberphobes and the technophobes play very important roles in our everyday lives and they can enjoy the use of tech-savvy designs using the platform they are comfortable with. If grandma is alive print is not dead.