During the second semester, my group and I decided to do a research project about the rise of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Each of us was required to analyze one original research article related to the group project and write a research analysis paper on the actual peer-reviewed research study.  After each of us has written our research analysis paper, we created power point presentation together. Power point presentation includes research on how systemic antibiotic effect progress of periodontitis, testing bacteria for antibiotic sensitivity, and development of resistance to antimicrobial mouth rinses.

My research analysis paper is about the use of antibiotics in conjunction to periodontal debridement. Based on the article, it was concluded that mechanical removal of debris was effective in the prevention of clinical attachment loss regardless of the use of antibiotics. I chose this topic because of increased and unnecessary use of systemic antibiotics that could potentially lead to bacterial resistance. The purpose of this assignment was to be able to read peer reviewed research and understand conclusion based on statistical data provided in the original paper.

As a future dental hygienist, it is our responsibility to educate and give OHI instructions to the patients.  As a part of education process of homecare, we should inform the patients about diverse effects of antibiotic treatments and its effect on the immune system based on scientific research.

How Systemic Antibiotics Effect Progression of Periodontitis

The-Rise-of-Antibiotic-Resistant-Bacteria

During the first semester of the DH program,  I researched on two topics related to teeth and how they would appear on the radiographs for the histology class.  I’ve learned how to identify microdontia and macrodontia on a x ray and  modify OHI for the patients with these  conditions.

Microdontia is defined as a condition in which one or more teeth appear smaller than usual. If all teeth appear smaller than normal it is termed generalized form of microdontia. of only few teeth are involved it is termed localized form of microdontia. Lateral incisor and third molars are the most common teeth involved.

Macrodontia, on the other hand, is a condition in which teeth appear larger than normal as the result of abnormal growth. These teeth or tooth can cause challenges to the patient because as a result of abnormally large tooth or teeth, patient might have overcrowding and misalignment of the teeth.

Below you can read the word document about this research paper.

Macro and Microdontia

During my third semester, I took an Oral Pathology course and I did a research paper on a ranula, one of the conditions that oral health care providers can detect during an intra oral exam. During the oral pathology course, I learned about oral manifestations of systemic conditions, benign and malignant lesions of both soft and hard tissue with radiographic appearance.

A ranula is clear/bluish fluid filled cyst that involves a sublingual salivary glands (a major salivary gland). It is important to distinguish it from a mucocele which is usually found on the floor of the mouth  and originates from minor salivary gland.

If a ranula is detected during the visit, it is vital to inform the patient, continue to monitor the lesion, document the lesion and refer to a specialist or to a biopsy if necessary.

Below you can read the paper on ranula

Ranula