Self Reflection

Self- refection is serious meditation or thought on one character as well as motives and actions. Self-reflection is a way to assess one’s self pin pointing one’s strength and weaknesses. This clinical rotation had to do with community health and the role of the nurse in the community. Often times when a nursing student hears the word clinical, we think about patients who are sick and unable to take care of themselves. This clinical rotation was different as it was filled with individuals who are very well capable of taking care of themselves. Their mission according to their website is cultivate friendly relations among the members of the Stein Senior Center and the general public; to provide services with an emphasis on group growth; to share the strengths, and wisdom of senior citizens; and referral services, and to safeguard the health and wellness of senior citizens. In the 13 plus weeks that I have been here, I have experienced it.

Demonstrates individual professionalism through personal behaviors and appearance.1

When we first came to clinical I expected it to be like leadership clinical attire wise. I was kind of excited to be wearing a lab coat. For some reason it makes me feel official. Quickly I found out that we only have to wear professional attire. I was excited about that also because I love the professional look. I attended clinical punctually every single week. I made sure I was up and on that L train by 7:45. When I got there we engaged in preconference and discussed what would be done throughout the day and what task each us would be assigned to. Whenever I was stuck or did not know what to do or how to handle a situation I would as my clinical instructor for guidance on the matter. For example, when a senior’s blood pressure was above the normal limit, I would make sure and tell the clinical professor so that the necessary steps can be taken. I always attended clinical prepared and ready to learn or participate in the day’s activities. There was never a breach of confidentiality. What ever happened between and individual stayed between us unless I found it to be something that the professor needed to know.

Employ analytical reasoning and critical thinking skills when providing care to individuals and families in the community setting.

This clinical was not based in a hospital setting, and we were not taking care of patients in a manner that we would have had we been in a hospital. This means that we did not have look at patient’s medical records to and collect data on the client. However I was able speak to the seniors and found out more about their medical history. In speaking to the seniors we got an inside look on their emotional, cultural, and religious and spiritual influences they may have an impact on their health. We did not complete an actual physical assessment of the seniors. We focused more on teaching and talking to them about health and wellness. We did not administer medications either. However we did do patient teaching in regards to medication administration and the importance of adhering to the orders from the doctor. If their blood pressure for example was high we would ask them about dizziness and headaches and any other additional symptoms. I also taught them about healthy food options to help maintain a normal blood pressure reading. One experience that I can speak on that I needed to exercise my nursing skills was going to the NYSIM for disaster preparedness. That experience was a good one as we had to perform assessments and patient teaching about medication.

This clinical rotation required a lot of talking. I made use of various therapeutic communication skills while I interacted with patients and their families or the persons who assisted them when coming to the center. It wasn’t like the other clinical where we had to talk and take care of them also. We had to be able to speak to the seniors and in speaking use therapeutic communication. In communicating with my peers and instructor, I was always tried my best to be clear and respectful. The data that was collected throughout clinical was the blood pressures. Every Wednesday we took clients blood pressure. If it so happened that their reading was abnormally low or abnormally high then I would report it to the instructor who would then speak to the client or relay it to the facility. In addition, I explained to them what systolic and diastolic meant and when they should contact their healthcare provider. Some patients didn’t speak much English. In a situation like that I had to adapt to the needs of the client. What I did was get my fellow classmate to assist me in translation and understanding. That way when I was speaking the client they understood what I was saying and I too understand what they were trying to get across to me.

For our clinical, we did a service learning project. Within that project, we did a survey on what disease or area of nursing interest the seniors of the center the most. They chose cancer. We presented the topic in such a way that it would be interactive and it was educational as well. Prior to the jeopardy games we also handed out pretest to test the understanding of the seniors and then we evaluated what they knew after. It was really fulfilling to see them excited to participate and enjoy themselves. We had to establish an environment conducive to learning as well as make it fun for them. While engaging in conversation, if the seniors showed any lack of knowledge I would try to teach them.

Utilize informational technology when managing individual and families in the community.

During our presentation we utilized PowerPoint and brochures to present the information to the seniors. No healthcare care systems was used.

6

Throughout the clinical rotation, appropriate literature was used in understanding how to care for individuals within the community. Also we made sure to present the seniors with pamphlets about the topic that we were presenting to them. That way they would have a better understanding of the topic, as well as take away something educational. Although I knew that community health exited. I never thought of it being an option for me. Being a part of this clinical rotation allows me to take what I’ve learned into the future and consider being a community health nurse. It starts in the community. What you teach them they could then take and apply it to their everyday lives thus preventing hospital visits.  I definitely took it upon myself to evaluate myself and how I thought I was doing thus far. I think that I did very well especially in interacting with the seniors and conversing with them. It was a very good way to enhance my people skills as well as communication skills. I cannot say that I know everything about being a community health nurse. However with everything in life. There is always room for improvement and adjusting what is presented in front of you.

Incorporate professional nursing standards and accountability into practice

I made sure that I reviewed The American Nurses Association (ANA) standards of care in the clinical practice, such as, assessment, outcome identification, ethics, professionalism, quality of practice, collaboration, evidence-based, resource utilization, and leadership, to name a few. In any institution individuals have to be able to respect the standards of the facility of which they are a part of. It is only right that you do what do what is expected of you that way no conflict arises. You become aware you surroundings when you take the time out to research something as important as the mission statement of which I definitely looked up. When I heard about the center that I was going to for clinical I immediately looked it up online that way I am familiar and not walking into somewhere too unfamiliar.

Collaborate with clients, significant support persons and members of the health care team.

Collaboration is very important in health care when addressing the needs of the individuals. For the service learning project I collaborated with my clinical professor and some of the Stein Center staff to help create a fun and friendly environment for the clients. In every aspects I tried to help the clients in any way that I could of. We also reached out to various organizations and presented material to the seniors that way they could learn more about cancer and the different resources available to them. We aimed to provide them with essential information as well that they could take home with to educate their family members. During our presentation we taught them about medications, side effects, relaxation techniques, music, culture, and prevention

Recognize the impact of economic, political, social and demographic forces that affect the delivery of health care services.

Within this community we see that the cost of living is not the most ideal. There are a lot of expenses and it’s getting harder for the residents. Sometimes I wondered if many of them have to choose between medication and food. We look around the community and the prices of fruits and vegetables are pretty high. It is so wonderful to see that the Stein center is available to the community. A place where the seniors can come and interact with other. Get a little bit of fresh air as well as receiving a hot meal. In our presentation we provided them with resources where they would be able to receive financial assistance if necessary and additional help if needed. There are many disparities that may prevent seniors from receiving the help that they need .Right now within our society we cannot say for sure what will take place health wise as many people may soon become uninsured. As a nurse I feel like it should be our duty to go out there and raise awareness and put things in place that will assist the residents of this city. Especially for the ones who are less fortunate.

Conclusion

Being a part of this clinical rotation was very fulling to say the least. It is true that it was not what I expected, it was better. Being able to learn from each other and interact with different people was amazing. It also allowed me to see what needs to be done through the community. Sometimes you live in a neighborhood and because you are so busy you don’t take the time out to really learn about needs the community. Throughout this semester I go the opportunity to do just that. It made me realize that I should lend a hand in the community more often than not. There are so many disadvantages that the elderly face and I think I want to be a part an organization that makes it better for them.