My Strengths

Nursing is a learned skilled it also involves having a natural ability to care for others.  I enjoy the profession and opportunity for caring patients in a challenging environment.  I have the ability to provide caring, compassionate and quality nursing care to patients and their caregivers.  Being a visiting nurse in the community demands many daily decisions made.  Some of these decisions can be relatively practical but they often involve complex moral and ethical concerns embracing the patients as well as the patients’ families.  I am flexible and also sensitive to a complex situation, one can develop such skill after years of compassionate experience. I am able to perform the required tasks efficiently and I understand which nursing techniques I should utilize under the circumstance to get the tasks completed with the best results. The following examples will help explain and clarify my strengths.

1)      A 72 years old Chinese patient was diagnosis of liver cancer and needed to have operation.  The family/the health care proxy agreed the operation but requested the health care team do not tell the patient about the diagnosis.  The family explained the patient would scare to death about cancer.  The family told the patient she had little thing in the liver must be removed.  I was the primary nurse for this case.  During the last home visit before the patient had her operation, patient asked me why she has to have a surgery.  I wanted to explain to patient but did not.  I addressed the patient’s concerns regarding her operation instead of her disease.  Patient had the operation done and recovery well.

2)      During one of the home visit to a mental disorder patient, she asked me to keep a secret before she wanted to kill herself.  At this time, I had to report because it was for patient’s safety.  I was not able to follow the principle of fidelity in this case but I am flexible to a complex situation like this.

A City Tech OpenLab ePortfolio