Advertisements in New York City – SoHo vs. Chinatown part 5 of 5

This post will be a continuation from my last post for my series about Advertisements in New York City, specifically in the area of SoHo and Chinatown.

If we look at certain advertisements specifically in these areas we can understand why they attract to certain groups of people. A common advertisement seen in these areas can be an Apple product. Many consumers walking in these areas want to buy the latest electronic gear. Apple has been successful in attracting many people to buy latest product. One of their latest products is an iPad mini. You can see a billboard their advertisement of it located right between Canal and Baxter St, which is a location right between SoHo and Chinatown. The advertisement is appealing for consumers because of its simplicity. The billboard just shows a hand holding an iPad mini skewed to the right on a white back ground. People can interpret from this how portable and small the iPad mini is. The only text is the product name “iPad mini” on the top left corner so we exactly know what they are adverting. Long time users of Apple products and people who never used an Apple product can understand easily what they are trying to advertise.

Photograph of an Ipad billboard I took between Chinatown and SoHo

In conclusion I believe advertisements in New York City are a marketing strategy used by advertisers to promote their goods and services to the consumers. Advertisers have to look at the location and the demographic in that area in order to determine whether it is appropriate for their advertisement to be there. Successful advertisements benefit the advertisers but encourage a desire for products which people do not actually need. Many of these advertisements idealize aspect of life and culture that we would want to have. As Don Draper from Mad Men has said best “advertising is based on one thing: happiness“. Advertisements are everywhere in New York City and they supply us with products and services that we will be happy with in our daily lives.