Advertisements in New York City – SoHo vs. Chinatown part 4 of 5

This post will be a continuation from my last post for my series about Advertisements in New York City, specifically in the area of SoHo and Chinatown.

In Chinatown there are various advertisements written in Chinese that help Chinese people in their daily lives. For example advertisements such as for health care and TV service are shown in Chinatown for people to see. One of the latest service advertisements shown in Chinatown can be one for a certain Chinese cable channel called “TVB”. This advertisement is shown on a big billboard between Canal and Bowery St right on top of a local Buddhist temple and bus service department. People walking by can easily see the billboard and might be interested in getting a Chinese channel from dish network. The text is written in Chinese and there is a number that they can contact in order to get the channel. Advertisements in Chinatown cater more Chinese people because they are more populated in that area.

Photograph I took of a TVB billboard in Chinatown

Desires and needs are one of the features people look at in an advertisement. They question themselves whether they truly need a something based off an advertisement. Furthermore, certain advertisements are displayed to attract a lifestyle that people desire to have. There are advertisements in both Chinatown and SoHo that show these types of advertisements. These advertisements appeal to many kinds of people whether they are tourist or a consumer. For example in Chinatown between Canal and Centre St, there is an advertisement that talks about a casino located near JFK airport. People desire to be rich and one way is playing in a casino. This casino is nowhere near Chinatown. The reason why it’s put here is because of how populated the location is in. Tourist and locals here can be attracted to such advertisement because of how simple and informative it is. It explains that there is a casino in New York City and that it’s just “Minutes away”, but in reality it’s a few train stops away. An advertisement like these attracts one’s current lifestyle and wishing for it to become a better one.

Photograph I took of a Casino promotion billboard in Chinatown