Advertisements in New York City – SoHo vs. Chinatown part 3 of 5

This post will be a continuation from my last post for my series about Advertisements in New York City, specifically in the area of SoHo and Chinatown.

Advertisements seen in a consumer populated area can be ones where they focus on selling clothes. In SoHo there are many trendy clothing stores that people can go into and buy. Many of these stores advertise their clothes on posters and billboard in SoHo. For example Calvin Klein is one common store that always has a billboard advertising their latest clothes between East Houston and Lafayette St. Their latest billboard shows a male and female model wearing the latest Calvin Klein clothes. The billboard being mostly shades of orange and brown portrays a theme of autumn and that these clothes are meant for the fall season. There is also text in the center skewed to the left of where the models are at displaying β€œCalvin Klein Jeans”. People who look at this billboard can clearly see what they are trying to sell. They make consumers who look at this billboard think that by buying their clothes they can live the sexy and fashionable lifestyle as the models in the billboard. This type of advertisement attracts the desires of wanting to live in a style similar to what they are seeing in the billboard.

Photograph I took of a Calvin Klein billboard in SoHo

SoHo also has advertisements that attract people to live a certain lifestyle. There is one billboard located between Houston and Lafayette St that advertises a clothing store called REI. This store sells outdoor gear and clothing for consumers when they go hiking, skiing or other outdoor recreation. What is appealing about their advertisement is their wall of text β€œAll the gear you need to get out this winter”. With the various pictures of winter outdoor activities they make the consumer want to live a lifestyle of fun during the winter. They make the buyers want to buy their gear so that they can enjoy the lifestyle seen from their billboard pictures of people doing things like skiing and hiking with their gear.

Photograph I took of an REI billboard in SoHo

One thought on “Advertisements in New York City – SoHo vs. Chinatown part 3 of 5

1. Pingback: Advertisements in New York City – SoHo vs. Chinatown part 4 of 5 | Student in Ad World