Entry 8: Web Development

During my internship, I struggled with the idea of whether or not I wanted to become a Web Designer or a Web Developer. While working on the projects for Early Adopter, majority of the time I was doing web designing. This entailed a lot of sketching, wireframes and Photoshop work. I always needed to update my supervisor on the progress I was making and ensuring the design is what the company needed. While I very much enjoy the design aspect, I also really enjoy the development and coding. When designing the website, you see it’s potential and what it’s going to become, when coding the design is finally coming to life. There is a lot more trial and error because code break and doesn’t always work the way you want or the way you expect. It can also be frustrating at times, especially when you have an idea but you don’t know how to code it. That’s when you have to research and look for the best possible way to effectively execute your idea.

I was fortunate enough that Leo was much more interested in the development aspect as well. I was able to learn a lot from him and he helped me choose whether or not I wanted to be a developer vs a designer. As of right now, I’m a much better designer than I am developer and I have much more confidence in my design skills then my coding. But, I was encouraged my Sarah, who is the UX/UI designer, to pursue a career in web design and build upon my development skills within the position. I feel like that was he best advice I could have gotten.

I really thankful for the opportunity to find out what I want to pursue so I can spend my time and energy perfecting my coding skills. Coding languages are always changing, so it’s very important to stay on top of it and learn what’s new.