HW 10.18.22

My research question will be to see if social media has had any negative or positive impacts to society. Additionally, I will see if it has caused more isolation in people especially since 2020, or has it bringing people together more than ever before? I am interested in this question because everyone including myself has a cellphone with social media installed onto it, and we spend countless hours on it. My sister and I usually like to spend time on social media after a long day, as I’m sure a lot of people do. TV isn’t really a thing anymore, because were all on our cellphones. I expect to find multiple results in my research, ranging from yes, its beneficial, to no its bad for our social development. Also, a lot of businesses leverage social media to get new followers and get a broader outreach than they usually can. I believe that it has its positives and negatives which can outweigh each other depending on how you look at it. Overall, I think it’s positive if you use it in moderation and it’s just the way the world is progressing, as we saw all these different technologies progress. It can help us connect with people we didn’t know, or keep in contact with family which is far and see what they’ve been up too. If I find information that is other than what I expected to find, it will be okay since I am keeping an open mind while researching the topic. I know social media can be addictive and can even destroy some people’s lives in the long and short term. It will open me up to more exact scenarios where it shows me social media isn’t good. We also must remember that social media is only ~10 years old and is rapidly evolving. I believe that social media has also shortened our attention span. We went from consuming content that is hours long to only 10 seconds or shorter. Kids that are born today, are essentially engrained with social media which I don’t believe is positive at all. When I was a kid, I wasn’t on social media, so I grew up a little different even though I was born when technology was around. I also expect to find sources that have done research on this topic in a wider population. I will evaluate the data and see where it came from and who did the research. I believe this is important in creating a conclusion on my initial question.