Bp: 1

Ursula K. Le Guin’s essay “What Is Science Fiction” was the first essay I read. Ursula Guin discusses the writing process of science fiction in this essay. People who read science fiction tend to have the same common misconception that what is written is real and that it will actually come to pass in the future. In this essay Ursula Guin argues that just because the writers’ descriptions of ideas have some truth does  not mean they are prophecies for the future.Ursula Guin shows throughout the essay how science fiction aims to convince you of a story, not to present the facts.

The second essay I read was “American SF And The Other” also by Ursula K. Le Guin. In this essay, Ursula Guin argues about the representation of women. In most science fiction women are never shown as smart strong leaders but as dumb and beautiful side characters. Ursula Guin also talks about  how masses of people only exist to led around by their superiors and are often not treat properly. These essays have helped my frame of mind by reminding me to think unconventionally and not write the same as other science fiction writers, because even though they don’t write the truth, they write their truths.

3 Responses to Bp: 1

1. Ok. The name is LeGuin, not Guin. A little more detail would be helfpul here.

2. Just curious because you mentioned that you wouldn’t write like other SF writers. What sort of things have you been wanting to write about?

3. You bring up how the representation of women in science fiction is being reduced to superficial attributes rather than being portrayed as smart and strong leaders. How do you think readers and audiences can contribute to fostering a more inclusive and representative portrayal of women in science fiction?