Sample of Writing

I attended a CityTech RNBS faculty or curriculum meeting for my professional activity. This meeting took place on Thursday March 1, 2018. During this meeting, Dr. Rafferty explained that in February 2018, the school received an accreditation. CityTech receives an accreditation every few years in order to continue the programs. Accreditation is important because it authorizes and certifies that the school has met certain standards and criteria. One question that Dr. Rafferty raised was how do we improve the nursing program? She also explained that it encompasses student outcomes. What should the learner know? I feel as though the learner or student should know how to critically think. Critical thinking is an important aspect in nursing and it has been proven to enhance patient outcomes. Effective communication is another important aspect of nursing. Being able to explain and teach the patients is another way to render effective care. The patient needs to understand their treatment regimen in order to have a good outcome. Another concern that Dr. Rafferty had is if the nursing program sequence of classes is appropriate. I personally think that CityTech has one of the best nursing programs in the CUNY system. I think I have grown tremendously from the time I have entered the program to the end of my journey. CityTech has taught me how to make better decisions and critically think. I must say that I am very proud of my accomplishments thanks to CityTech’s nursing department. All of my professors have played a vital role in my life.

Dr. Dato spoke about the incorporating of the SBIRT training throughout the program. She felt that the motivational interviewing is a helpful tool when communicating with patients. The main objective of motivational interviewing is the integration of SBIRT into the curriculum of the RNBS program, so that it meets the commitment of sustainability in this program that is part of the SBIRT grant. In this program SBIRT (which includes Motivational Interviewing) will be threaded throughout the program in specific courses. Practice (in clinical settings, work setting, role play and simulation) are identified as important by students is part of the plan. The courses that will implement the motivational interviewing are physical assessment, community, and urban. As explained earlier, the student will be exposed to motivational interviewing during their clinical hours. This tactic will improve students ability to communicate effectively with the general population.

My role in this meeting was to be an observer. Listening and giving suggestions is what was expected of me. I explained to the faculty how this program has helped me grow as person and as a professional. However, I did not have any suggestions because I thought that the program is organized very well. I like that the program offers numerous baccalaureate courses over the summer to allow students to finish faster. Although I feel as though these classes should not be rushed, it is good to know that I can finish one year earlier.

Moreover, this is a professional nursing advocacy activity because the student observers were there to advocate for the nursing students. This is so because the observer was able to give thoughtful advice or concerns that we had. We were there to see how we could improve the program. One of the observers thought that it will be a great idea in order to expand the nursing clinical classes to different countries such as Haiti. Dr. Rafferty expressed that in the near future, they were going to expand the clinical groups to Haiti in order to deliver care. Another suggestion is to have clinicals on the weekend for the nurse who work during the week. I think that expanding the clinicals to the weekends would be great way to help the students work and go to school. As stated earlier, CityTech has one of the best nursing programs!