Volunteering

COMMUNITY SERVICE

Colgate’s “Bright Smiles Bright future” program
2015 Greater New York Dental Meeting

IMG_1141IMG_1142

My first experience interacting with children was at the Colgate’s “Bright Smiles Bright future” program. I was part of the education team and I taught the children how to properly brush their teeth. I really enjoyed this experience because I feel like I improved my communication skills with them. I felt so happy that they were smiling at me after I showed that how to brush. I realized I could make a difference in regards to their oral health.

Service learning project

In this activity, our target were new Chinese immigrant children in-between the ages of six to twelve. Most of the children were surprised about how important brushing and flossing are. They enjoyed the lessons and games we created for them. I remember when I was a child, I did not get a chance to learn much about oral health information but I was fortune enough to have a great mother who had an awareness about good oral health. I felt grateful to work with my teammates to create this awesome activity for these children.

Annual Health and Career Day

P771K at PS 329, The Surfside School, Brooklyn

I was nervous in this volunteer experience because the target population were children with mental disability. I wasn’t sure how I should go about communicating with them and if I had to go about different teaching methods to better help them understand. We tried our best to hold their hands and show them how to brush their teeth. We had some success with that route and luckily the cares were there to help us out. I strongly felt that we needed to provide additional tips to the cares so they could help these children have better oral health awareness. Even though there were so challenges, I still enjoyed this experience and was thankful that I was part of this because I realized that these children also need to be treated like any other child. Let’s work together and make their smiles brighter.

Head Start Varnish ProgramIMG_1276

For this activity, I was able to apply what I learned over these two years with all the experience I gained with pediatric patients. I enjoyed being able to screen and apply varnish for them. Some of them were little bit shy but after talking to them a bit, I was able to became their friend and they gave me the information I needed to help them improve their oral health. I realized that no matter what I do, I will always hold my value as a dental hygienist to help and inspire people. Thank you:)