Notes and homework from Thursday 12 December – IMPORTANT please read!

I have posted notes on the Law of Sines and Law of Cosines examples I did in class – the Law of Cosines example continues on to solve the triangle, which I did not get to do Thursday.

Homework:

• Make sure that you do the homework on proving trig identities from last time. The Quiz on Monday will be on trig identities. The Quiz on Wednesday will be on Law of Sines and Law of Cosines.

• Also assigned: see the resource on ramps for accessibility. The largest permitted rise-to-length ratio is 1:12 or $\frac{1}{12}$. What angle of elevation does this give?

• As for the WeBWorK on Law of Sines: for now you only need to do problems 1 and 3-5; you can skip problem 2 for now (or try it if you like, after reading my notes)

• As for the WeBWorK on Law of Cosines: for now you only need to do problems 1 and 4. You may certainly try the others if you like: that will set you up well for what we do on Monday.

• Please go to the Final Exam Review sheet and work on problems 11-16 (which are on trig) for Monday. I will be posting resources specific to each problem on that page over the weekend, and if you find anything useful to share with the class please let me know!

• I have re-opened some of the old WeBWorK assignments for everybody. (It turned out to be too time-consuming to do this on an individual basis.) The assignments I have re-opened are the ones which are closest to the content of the Final Exam. I also arranged their “due dates” so that they appear in the same order as the problems on the Final Exam review sheet.

IMPORTANT: HERE IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO!

* If you have already completed an assignment, do not redo the problems! We are now in the reduced-scoring period and you. might reduce your score if you do that. Rather, use the “Show me another” button if you want to practice.

* Concentrate on the assignments that you most need to work on. Remember that this is to make you get a good score on the Final Exam which is worth more than twice as much as WeBWorK to your final grade!

* If there are one or more assignments (be reasonable, please!) that you have not completed and you would like re-opened, please let me know BY EMAIL, NOT IN CLASS!, before Sunday 11 PM. After that, sorry, no more.

* The due dates on these are absolutely final and will not be extended for any reason whatever. But you should in any case start working on these assignments NOW if you intend to do them.

* I have also made visible the WeBWorK on Radical Equations. If you are up-to-date on everything else, you may want to do this one for extra credit. But a word to the wise: if you are NOT up-to-date on everything else, your time is better spent working on what will be on the remaining two quizzes and the Final Exam. The extra credit on this one assignment is not enough to make up for poor performance on the Final Exam in particular.