Daeneesha Bowens-Pope & Samuel Wilkie

Two Shades of the Color Love (prose poem)

One.
We didn’t fall in love, we didn’t go on a first date, we didn’t even like each other. It wasn’t love at first sight. No fairytales- there’s not enough film in the world to capture what we’ve been through so this was nothing like the movies.

I remember times where I would wipe the tears from her face after I made her cry. Or the times when I went home with scratch marks on my back on my arms my shoulders. You cheat! I cheat! We cheat! You’re wrong! I’m wrong! We’re wrong! But who’s right? No answers when it comes to this thing right here. Just roller coasters and tornadoes clashing with broken promises and empty words.

We both try until we’re tired until our bodies ache but no one gives up. I’ll curse you out but the first person that even breathes the wrong way around you gets hurt. She’ll disrespect me but let another woman give me an attitude it becomes hell. She tells me it’s a war being with you, loving you could be so simple but you’d rather make it hard. Why don’t I ever call? Why don’t I ever listen to you? Where am I when you need me? I’m always with my friends and sometimes it feels like I don’t care. She kills me with her words, they slowly pierce into my skin leaving invisible marks on my soul and heart that she will never see…but see sometimes I don’t see I just drown Drown her out with my words my screams, my yells! I’m a goddamn man and you’ll treat me like one. I don’t need to tell you where I’m going who I’m with. I don’t have to answer to any of your questions

Now she’s drowning in, we’re sinking.

She’s hitting, I’m screaming. She’s biting, I’m squeezing, We change positions- now she’s screaming and I’m hitting We’re loving. What’s the point sometimes I ask myself? What do I need another for? Why must I give up my all for one person? I can love myself I need no other but God. So why do I still stand here every night looking at your face until my eyes turn red? Why do I put so much energy into making

sure you’re ok? Putting you before me, your wants become my needs. No this is not pretty not this, no where near beautiful, but you are. We try.

Two.
They say ordinary people do extraordinary things. Well, that’s exactly what we are EXTRAORDINARY. I fell in love with his brown eyes. I kissed his red lips, the air he breathed was the air I breathed. We weren’t two people falling in love, we were one. Inseparable. At least that’s what I remember. But what I do remember is the pain and agony I felt when he looked at another woman the same way he looked at me. I had no control over what I had seen but I just knew he loved me, adored me would never put me in a bad situation. HE needed ME and not HER but that’s what I chose to believe. But now every time I see this woman I knew she had a part of me. So I cried feeling like I’m a woman caught up didn’t know what to do but I just knew I had to keep my head up! So I looked up right into those big brown eyes and saw something I haven’t seen in a while- his face! His face reminded me of the love we shared; his eyes brought back memories that couldn’t compare to any problem that has been dealt. His smile effortless beautiful, amazing! Felt like I was falling in love all over! I couldn’t understand how things started to become so clear, I had no choice but to pull him near and murmur I needed this, I needed you, I felt incomplete but your face reminded me of Greatness, eternity, life. I couldn’t let this break us down, I no longer wanted to drown in sorrow feeling regretful because when I said I loved you, I meant it with every bone, blood vessel, heartbeat EVERYTHING INSIDE OF ME. I’ve learned to make sacrifices not just for him but for US. See an average person looking in would say we were just ordinary but with an EXTRAORDINARY LOVE STORY BEHIND US.